Why was my account declined?

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Re: Why was my account declined?

Post by JuiceBeetle » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:51 am

CMAwatch wrote:Here is a neutral space where WP admins can not silence legitimate criticsm.

And that's why they don't comment here. On WPO also only a few of them.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:58 am

JuiceBeetle wrote:
CMAwatch wrote:Here is a neutral space where WP admins can not silence legitimate criticsm.

And that's why they don't comment here. On WPO also only a few of them.

When WPO started, it was VERY different. Open abuse of WP insiders was normal and as a result, god, did they hate Wikipediocracy. At least 3 attempts to delete the WP article about WPO, all stupid as hell, and all failed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... pediocracy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... nomination)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... nomination)

Don't forget the "List of Wikipedia controversies" and Chris Owen's pathetic attempt to delete it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... troversies

AGK tried to put it on their spam blacklist, "supposedly at the behest of Arbcom". And failed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =542603600
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... dit_filter

Plus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _and_notes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... mp_(policy)/Archive_104#Regarding_Wikipediocracy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... pediocracy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... /Editorial
There's one last channel of communication for criticisms too bellicose for publication in the Signpost: Wikipediocracy. It's a cesspool of bile, full of bitter trolls and their coat-tail riders; yet many serious Wikimedians seem to read it regardless—members of groups including community administrators, arbitrators, Foundation community teamsters, and even Signpost editorial board members. The problem is that as Wikipedia editors we're all implicitly supporters, and so Wikipediocracy's indulgences—its rants, triviality, and personal nastiness—are reluctantly tolerated for the sake of gleaning a sense of the magnitude of the issues facing the projects. It’s well-acknowledged that sometimes Wikipediocracy has a point; and as the saying goes, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. In terms of material accepted, Wikipediocracy is a Chaotic Evil to the WM Blog's Lawful Good: as long as your post is sufficiently negative, it will be accepted. Better and less speculative writings ought be tried in the Signpost first, though, since it, being a publisher with some repute in the community, would not make your writing immediately suspicious by its choice of venue.

And after Billy Burns and Vigilant et al. managed to purge the "more problematic" users in 2015, Wikipedia admins and arbitrators started to show up on Wikipediocracy more and more frequently. Including people who hated the thing, such as Lukeno94 and Beeblebrox. They are now compromised. That's all.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Steln wrote:I am utterly serious in saying I would be willing to let Jimbo Himself post here; even though I didn't get along with James Alexander I would be willing to let him in, but I'm sure he's trying to purge any memories of the culty world of the WMF while doing whatever he does over at Twitter.

So am I and it would be great if they showed up here, Steln. Because for both of the gentlemen I still have a lot of unanswered questions I want to ask them and not to there shitty lackey's. Because with them I have no business and nothing to do, they all can walk to the hell. I simple refuse to talk with them.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:40 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:
Steln wrote:I am utterly serious in saying I would be willing to let Jimbo Himself post here; even though I didn't get along with James Alexander I would be willing to let him in, but I'm sure he's trying to purge any memories of the culty world of the WMF while doing whatever he does over at Twitter.

So am I and it would be great if they showed up here, Steln. Because for both of the gentlemen I still have a lot of unanswered questions I want to ask them and not to there shitty lackey's. Because with them I have no business and nothing to do, they all can walk to the hell. I simple refuse to talk with them.

Example question:

How come Bbb23 is still an administrator after long-term coarse violations?
#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 pm

CMAwatch wrote:
Graaf Statler wrote:

Example question:

How come Bbb23 is still an administrator after long-term coarse violations?

First off, Jimbo only discusses Wikipedia when it benefits him monetarily (or might in the future) and only when it's positive. James Alexander is just a loser. In both cases they aren't likely to ever come here as long as this site is called WIkipedia sucks. They might go to Wikipeidocracy now that it has been turned into a Wikipedia admin and insiders forum by Zolofy, but even that's unlikely.

I wholeheartedly agree that Bbb23 needs to be taken down and I do believe it will happen eventually. The question is how much damage he will do until then. He is blocking so many accounts and IP's with his warrantless sock hunts that it's nearly impossible for a new user to even create an account anymore.
#BbbGate

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:17 am

Kumioko wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that Bbb23 needs to be taken down and I do believe it will happen eventually. The question is how much damage he will do until then. He is blocking so many accounts and IP's with his warrantless sock hunts that it's nearly impossible for a new user to even create an account anymore.

What I will write here is not a defense of Bbb23, and the user is responsible for his errors (and with his level of activity, he's bound to make some mistakes). But Kumioko's hyperbole is ignorant, and ignorant critique of Wikipedia practices and administrators is doomed, a waste of time.

"Nearly impossible for a new user to even create an account." That would only happen with someone using a blocked IP and there are ways around that. Easy ways, actually, as anyone who has defied blocks will know. At one point, the story goes, Raul654 blocked much of the US East coast to stop Scibaby from making harmless edits about cow farts. I do doubt the story somewhat, but I do know that admins can sometimes go way beyond what is actually necessary to protect the project, based on their personal reaction to being defied. Human. And that he was a fat asshole probably had nothing to do with. Just sayin'!

So I looked at the last 1000 new account creations. How long did it take to register a thousand users? From 21:01, 2 December 2019 to 23:59, 2 December 2019. The rate is 3300 per hour (for the time I looked, it may vary greatly).

If you have an account registered, you can edit any of the wikis, unless it is globally locked. Stewards monitor loginwiki and lock many accounts based on checkuser (often with no edits). To get an idea of how many accounts are currently being locked globally, the log for the last 5000 lock actions. 17:03, 13 November 2019 to 23:36, 2 December 2019. About 6.5 per hour on average. That is globally, so the enwiki effect would be negligible. So that leaves us enwiki blocks. The general block log is full of open proxy blocks by bot and other confusion. What we know is that users are succeeding in registering at high volume. How may are being blocked by Bbb23? His last 500 blocks. 23:55, 29 October 2019 to 17:00, 2 December 2019. About 15 per day. Many are IPs. Many refer to an SPI case.

When a user is blocked, autoblock will come into effect for a time on the IP. However, from the statistics, this is having practically no effect on the ability of users to create accounts. I'm not going to test it, because I am globally banned and probing Wikipedia with any write activity would violate the ban, and I don't do that. After all, I'm in court over the ban, and if the case goes forward, I expect I may be deposed. People who claim that "they couldn't know" have no idea how stupid it is to plan to lie under oath. Let's say, there better be very strong reasons, enough to risk prison.

(This is not any claim about Kumioko, who is quite open that he has violated his ban, and my opinion is that the bans are not legally enforceble -- but that is not legal advice and could be incorrect. To my knowledge, though, it's never happened. For a short time when I was socking on Wikipedia -- several weeks at most --, NewYorkBrad made noises about legal action, which was utterly insane. Another story. I was only indef blocked on enwiki at that time, and not even yet community-banned, and definitely not a TOS violation.)

There certainly can be a chilling effect on a new user from being abused, where that happens. There used to be users who would look for that happening and stop it. Those gradually either got whacked themselves, or gave up in frustration. It's an entire community that has settled into abuse, by and large, with some still in denial about it.

It's total error to focus on a single admin and from what I've seen, Bbb23 is far from the worst.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Abd wrote:
It's total error to focus on a single admin and from what I've seen, Bbb23 is far from the worst.

But at least, Bbb23 ought to acknowledge his misconduct and violation of WP:5P4 , WP:G5, WP:ADMINACCT, WP:CIVIL, WP:BITE.

His deletion of Handroid7's legitimate pages and revoking Aron Manning's talk page access is WP:TOOLABUSE.
#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.