Vigilant!!!

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Vigilant!!!

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:55 am

Abd wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34 pm
It doesn't take much. They have impersonated me, I think hundreds of times, Rome Viharo, Emil Kirkegaard, Mikemikev, numerous RatWiki users, targets of RatWiki articles they wrote, and Wikipedians. One thing they do is look for anyone who might have or have had a beef of any kind with their target, and then impersonate the person in a new forum, quoting them and often adding some twist.
Hmm---can you link to a suspected example? Other than the ones mentioned in this thread.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Sure. You have asked for "an example," so one. To find one quickly, I search RationalWiki users for "Abd."
ABD WATCHING YOUUU (talk | contribs) (Created on 6 November 2019 at 02:36) (blocked)

That was easy, I think I have seen hundreds there. That one had no contributions. Blocked for "ban evasion." Which in context means it was believed it was me. (The likely impersonator is not banned, which says much about RatWiki.)

Want WMF socks? The interesting ones to me are impersonations of other users, though there are several of me I have seen.

This is also a great example of how fucked up Wikipedia -- and WMF wikis in general -- can be. It is also the situation that got me involved with Smith socks.

SPI case filed 22 June 2017 by Michael skater. No action on that (there was actual socking by Blastikus, but minor and harmless). So see the next filing, 19 August 2017. No checkuser. If there had been checkuser, it would have found that MIchael skater was the sockmaster.

As a result of the defiant, in-your-face socking pretending to be the target, a WPadmin went to Wikiversity and was able to get the user blocked there, and a page he'd been working on -- a long-time target of trolls -- deleted (entirely contrary to policy, by the way).

When I found this, I went to meta and filed a steward checkuser request, and Bingo! (Notice how Vituzzu tried to shut that down, with a false argument.)

And then it started raining trollsocks, and when I confronted that, to make a long story short, I was blocked on Wikiversity, the major pretense being an alleged "vendetta." And that same 'crat blocked the target again. This was a privately coordinated attack, -- visibly so with IP solicitation -- involving a WP admin (JzG), a long-term antifringe user (Joshua P. Schroeder) (now using an unpronounceable name in Sinhalese), and fitting in with a long-term agenda on Wikiversity to Ban Abd.

They do this stuff because it works. Naive users assume that a sock saying "I'm XXX and I'm a-gonna sue you ass" is XXX. After all who else would say that? Or they quote some of what the target has written, so it sounds like the target. And then they spam it in many irrelevant places and use many accounts to do so. Again, who else? It's an example of how trolls have learned to manipulate standard wiki human reactions.

I can cite many examples where it actually worked. Darryl (my very likely identification of "AP-B") got the low-carb people fired up about "vegans." But it wasn't vegans, it was Smith socks all the way down. Wikipedia: extensive coverage on the CFC blog, the account was Skeptic from Britain.

He used a quite clever device. He created socks which outed XXX as Skeptic from Britain on blog pages, then he requested rename and retired because "he'd been outed." Wikipedians eat whatever shit is posted, -- unless it conflicts with their beliefs -- and don't notice that XXX was actually someone who had confronted SfB. So ... no checkuser on SfB, and no suspicion that he was an AngloPyramidologist sock, which he was, the best known incarnation being Goblin Face, ancient nemesis of Rome Viharo.

The 'pediots never figured out that Anglo Pyramidologist was two people, with distinct interests, even though apparently twin brothers. So we see the confusion all through the SPI archive. And then Darryl moved from anti-psychic activism to anti-health-woo, attacking any challenge to "mainstream" belief, even if skepticism is thoroughly based in science (he calls it "denialism"). (Health research sucks big time, poor science is palmed off when it serves big pharma, etc. And that is all common knowledge among physicians, I discuss it with them.)

To bring this back to relevance to this topic, EVilgent has allied himself with the Smith socks, citing their claims as if authoritative.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:05 am

*A wining douche bag.
*The tinpot dictator behavior.

It's simple poetry, Vig.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:29 am

Never ever say to someone who is born in Amsterdam he is from Rotterdam Vig.
There is even a old song the best place of Rotterdam is the central station, because there you can take the train to Amsterdam!

Speaking of clowns. :roll:

Said by the man who was together with Abd good for months of wiki amusement?

How formed a comical duo with Abd?

Joker! :mrgreen:

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 am

Abd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 pm
ABD WATCHING YOUUU (talk | contribs) (Created on 6 November 2019 at 02:36) (blocked)

That was easy, I think I have seen hundreds there. That one had no contributions. Blocked for "ban evasion." Which in context means it was believed it was me. (The likely impersonator is not banned, which says much about RatWiki.)
This could easily be Vigilant himself, Oliver Smith, or even one of RW's deranged administrators fooling around.
All open-access wikis are like this. So are Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, you name it.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:11 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 am
Abd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 pm

This could easily be Vigilant himself, Oliver Smith, or even one of RW's deranged administrators fooling around.
All open-access wikis are like this. So are Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, you name it.
I don't suspect the Vilignat of that, I've seen no sign of his socking on RatWiki. (It could happen, though). This was more likely Darryl Smith, but it might be someone else. What I can guarantee is that it wasn't me.

What the trolls succeeded in setting up was a context where any sock that might look like me trolling them was assumed to be me. But I never did troll the Rats, it was all the Smith brothers (and probably Darryl, not Oliver). To be sure, Oliver has claimed that it was Mikemikev, or sometimes he claims it was a Darryl enemy, Eveshi Mu or whatever his name was.

Unlikely, for the same reason I don't suspect the Vilignat: he didn't get exercised about me until some 'pedians asked who had been trolling Jimbo, was WOVigilant Patrick Byrne? And I wrote no, it was Wikipediocracy Vigilant, a well-known troll. That set him off. But that was toward the end of December.

The one with high motivation was Darryl Smith, also known as Goblin Face and by many other names, who attacked Wikiversity and I exposed it. Intolerable. Kill!

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Vigilant is an annoying bullyboy from a site which seems to attract and promote such behavior. He's an idiot. tarantino and Somey are the real "forces of evil in a bozo nightmare" to quote Beck. They need to be uncovered, but both are wily.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:34 am

"forces of evil in a bozo nightmare"

I really love you American's use of language!
But the most logical explanation seems to me collecting data. Because people log in from different places and special for the CU boys is that gold!

Because for the rest I can't believe there is anyone who takes the catfight between the two gentleman serious.
Interesting detail, Vig blames Abd of the same with his wiki link dumping.

Just ignoring as much as possible both is the best I think.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:21 pm

If the Wiki-Dolts didn't have shit for brains, they would realize that the Smith brothers are the New Grawp, and take serious action. Won't happen. The Smiths are smarter and more ruthless--Jeremy is just a spoiled little neckbeard with lots of spare time.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm

Is that so Vig?

We have style Vig. :mrgreen:

We pick such guys up with a private jet. :roll:

https://www.geenstijl.nl/5151126/air-takkie/

In a hyperluxe Bombardier Challenge. :D
Every business trip becomes a pleasure cruise in the Challenger 604 'Independence Nine'. The cabin space is fitted with the most cutting edge design and finest materials (...) All of the seats can be adjusted individually, which means that you can also enjoy the most comfortable way to fly on board this aircraft.
Not bad, not bad at all, Vig. 8-)

You can't just break laws without conferences, Vig....