Is Wikipedia broken?

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
Boink Boink
Sucks Fan

Is Wikipedia broken?

Post by Boink Boink » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:35 pm

I find to pretty hilarious Wikipediocracy can't answer a simple question like that.
Perhaps they don't want to answer? It must be embarrassing, even shameful, to admit Wikipedia is broken, when so many of your members are the very people who broke it.

Five pillars, each one smashed to bits by the very scum who consider themselves the soul mates of Wikipediocracy.
Did they do it to fulfil the ultimate secret plan, to destroy Wikipedia? Don't make me laugh. A better friend than Wikipediocracy, Wikipedia never had.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Is Wikipedia broken?

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:08 pm

Well, old man Billy gave a clear answer. The rest of the inmates have to piss about and mush-mouth.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:17 am

I think using the term broken for something like Wikipedia might be the wrong adjective. It's too vague and one persons trash is often anothers treasure. For most of us critics the answer is probably yes, certainly I believe so but if you ask someone like Beeeblebrox he'll disagree at the notion any idea that isnt his has merit.

Instead of broken, lets ask is Wikipedia reliable? I think most of us can agee the answer to this question mostly depends. For individual articles that are Good article quality or better, sure. But those make up a combined single digit percentage of the content of the site. So as a whole, I give reliability a failing grade on Wikipedia.

Is the site a "good place to work?" Absolutely not for almost everyone and even staunch suppotters of the site have crittcized aspects of the site and communities toxicity. Wikipedia meets every aspect of the criteria for a hostile workplace. Sovagain, a failing grade on this aspect of it being "broken".

I could continue, discussing the community, the Wikimedia foundation, the admin culture, etc. All with failing grades. At the end of the day though in almost every criteria that matters, Wikipedia is indeed, broken.
#BbbGate

adamovicm
Sucks

Post by adamovicm » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:40 am

Zoloft said - it's broken. Period.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:53 pm

I wouldnt trust zoloft to be Deputy dogcatcher
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:25 am

Kumioko wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:53 pm
I wouldnt trust zoloft to be Deputy dogcatcher
Neither would I. He's a "famous Wikipedia critic". Still has it written all over his userpage. Only 1774 edits since 2006 and less than 50 in the last 3 years. Oh, but he did vote to remove Jimbo's ability to override Arbcom last month. That passed, despite a whole passel of the rottenest asshole insiders (and sockpuppets thereof) voting to keep Jimbo as Little Hitler In A Rowboat. If Arbcom went totally off the rails and started destroying gigabytes of content, nearly all of the little shits would start bleating "Save us Jimbo!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Stanistani
If he knows how broken it is, why does he continue to fart around in there?

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:11 am

Funny enough I voted Jimbo out if his castle as well with the sock ive been using the last 3 years or so.
#BbbGate

Dr Mario
Sucks

Post by Dr Mario » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:23 pm

What wait they over threw Jimbo? :?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:07 pm

Dr Mario wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:23 pm
What wait they over threw Jimbo? :?
You need to keep up. Wikipedia is SO unhinged, the newer "patroller" types started efforts to unseat him as "leader" back in 2010. Partly because he tried to delete their rude little peepee photos on Commons. Many of the old-timey insiders still regard him as their Divine Saviour. So every such squabble was brutal and insane.

Consistent pattern: Wales would start deleting something or throwing accusations, a few shitweeds with a "good reputation" or advanced powers would go to a noticeboard or Arbcom and start the "waaahhhhh Jimbo is abusing his powerz", more shitweeds pop out of the sewer to deplore and make demands, blah blah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... under_flag
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Request ... under_flag
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... allegation

He is a scum. And he installed dozens of other scums as administrators and arbitrators prior to 2006. Most of them have since left or been pushed out, their places taken by random crazies who were willing to endure murderous hazing to pass an RFA. THAT is a broken community.

Remember that back in 2006 Wales was openly calling himself things like "unelected dictator" or "supreme ruler". At the same time, he was demanding that Larry Sanger be removed from Wikipedia's history as a co-founder.
https://www.logicmuseum.com/x/index.php/Jimbo_Found_Out
Last edited by ericbarbour on Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.