Jimmy wales launching a twitter and facebook rival

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
calming
Sucks Noob

Re: Jimmy wales launching a twitter and facebook rival

Post by calming » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:50 am

Did the spam bot disable cause spam to go up?

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:11 pm

calming wrote:Did the spam bot disable cause spam to go up?

It was re-enabled in short time (as I remember, by the court jester, Jechochman), thus we have no information on that.
Btw, the "spam" here means external link spam (self-promotion), not content spam. The bot rejects external links listed on a blacklist. It's called spambot for historical reasons: originally self-promotion links "spammed" on multiple articles were blacklisted.

There are some very generic filters in it, like "*.guru" - the whole top-level-domain. When I wanted to link to [url]satcom.guru[/url], a Boeing flight electronics engineer's articles (he investigated and revealed first the technical design faults in MCAS), I had to wait for 3 weeks and the generous "help" of an insider to get one measly line into the whitelist to allow linking to it... Beetstra simply ignored my requests, as he did not know me... The foundation is up against this counter-productive mentality with the purpose of "diversity" and acquiring new editors.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:45 pm

JuiceBeetle wrote:
calming wrote:Did the spam bot disable cause spam to go up?

There are some very generic filters in it, like "*.guru" - the whole top-level-domain. When I wanted to link to [url]satcom.guru[/url], a Boeing flight electronics engineer's articles (he investigated and revealed first the technical design faults in MCAS), I had to wait for 3 weeks and the generous "help" of an insider to get one measly line into the whitelist to allow linking to it... Beetstra simply ignored my requests, as he did not know me... The foundation is up against this counter-productive mentality with the purpose of "diversity" and acquiring new editors.

One of the last things I worked on as an en.wiki editor was the whitelist request page. There was no clerking, and requests would sit there for weeks with no action, which simply doesn't work on a wiki. So I started clerking it. In one previous case, when there was no action on a legitimate request, I went to AN and requested any admin fix the list and it was promptly done. You can guess how the antispam fatties took that! So how did they stop me from clerking?

Very simple. ArbCom had passed an "MYOB" sanction prohibiting me from intervening in any dispute where I was not a primary party. That made, by the way, absolutely no sense, and there was no example where I had actually caused disruption by doing so, and many examples of disputes mediated and resolved. They didn't care, and the original sanction included a mentorship exception. So an arbitrator volunteered to be my mentor. He was told, no an arb can't do that. But that arb was already recusing from any issues involving me, so there would have been no problem.

So in the case of the whitelist page, it was called "intervening in a dispute." What dispute? What I was doing was filtering the requests, collecting some data, making it simpler for any admin to act being informed.

Beetstra used to be sometimes helpful. As I've mentioned, burnout. The fact is that whitelisting should be automatic on the request of any editor in good standing wishing to use a link. The admins instead were making content decisions, as you found out. "Nothing from these domains could be reliable source." But even if that were true, there can be external links (which do not need to be RS). A page might be useful in discussion, or on a user page. The system was corrupt and violated guidelines, routinely. It was all over the place, and if you confronted it, dead meat, usually. Wikisuicide. I was warned by the best what to expect, even as they agreed with me. Durova cosigned on the RfC we filed on JzG. Now, whom did the 2/3 faction voting there scream should be banned? Certainly not Durova. Abd. Jehochman took that issue to ArbCom (which is what I expected, an RfC was, at that point, required. They have abandoned that, I think.) And ArbCom was about to go with the mob, which was claiming that the evidence I had compiled was cherry-picked. So a sharp arb compiled his own list of evidence of involvement where he'd used tools, and it matched mine, and the faction scattered and JzG was admonished.

Completely useless waste of time. JzG was horribly offended and left in a huff for a while, then came back and returned to similar behavior and from then on his faction had a clear agenda, Ban Abd. And it cost them an admin, William M. Connolley, but eventually they got the job done. That is what a faction of maybe two dozen users on Wikipedia, with a few admins, can do. Easy. The community is mostly asleep.

JzG never forgot that. I certainly never harassed him. For years, I hadn't edited Wikipedia and he still was blaming me for the condition of that article.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:12 am

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am

Oude wijn in nieuwe zakken. Old wine in new bottles.

Yes, in the time of the millennium web2 this kind of initiatives where new and exiting but nowadays the internet is overtaken by individualism. No one on the internet is waiting for IQ 150++ interventions or DSM-5 topic fuckers anymore. The peeps have become internet wise.

All these wiki based projects are outdated and all the clones too, they have no future. Everipedia has tried it, Jimmy has tried it with wikitribune, not a change.
The only project what is still more or less succesfull is the fossil wikipedia but only for the time being and without any future. Because it is a abdistic based pirate project attacked by governments who spread there political Round Up as geo blocks and aggressive copyright and privacy regulations. And the well informed (European) press is all the time knocking on the door, now still gently but later for sure louder. This must be very clear for the ones how have good ears.
And as we all know Round Up slowly withered slowly.

The project will be getting less attractive for investors, it will weaken and because of that hit by scandals, the box of pandora will open itself and so the once so proud wikipedia will end up on the junk yard of the history. That is not hard to predict because only the facade is left.
And Jimmy? I don't know, he is a cork and will alway stay afloat. I don't expect he will end up next to John Brinkley in the American history although the similarities are striking.

Yes my friends, let that old Dutch count with only one year succesfull kinder garden telling you the future of Wikipedia. A simple handcraft man, not a intellectual at all.
What is left is a facade, a house of cards, a pyramide scheme of bluff. I was trolled out WP-Nl and free and thought, well, let me have a look inside the the wiki Mekka, the English WP and WMF.

I traveled to America, digital because I have never left Europe and properly never will, looked around, talked with many people, have had fights with people, and have find out nothing is left. Nothing, really nothing, it is a empty house of cards.

No structure, no base, no business plan, not any talent, no vision, only words, words and again words. Sweet dreams about wiki love, about a not existing mouvement strategy, a brilliant future what will never come, empty noting solving gender talk in all directions, no, this is doomed to fall.

O yeh, I know dammed well I am that little boy who shouted that emperor is naked and who has to be mute. Call me world's International Supergenius Count Von Tinfoil, insult me, try to turn me down, go ahead. Make out of me worlds wiki troll number one, I don't care.

But does it change anything of these facts?

I don't think so.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:57 pm

there's a thread on some other wikipedia criticism site mentioning that WikiTribune/WT Social is now something called Trust Cafe. i poked around a little and saw Panyd (developer and "head of community" lol), and an editor complaining that his article with Christian content caused him to be banned. that's no way to treat your "silver" suckers contributors

the site looks different than WT Social yet the old donate link still works... of course

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:15 am

badmachine wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:57 pm
there's a thread on some other wikipedia criticism site mentioning that WikiTribune/WT Social is now something called Trust Cafe.
i poked around a little and saw Panyd (developer and "head of community" lol),
Not surprised at all. Sending a blatant message: "you either talk the way we want you to talk, or you're history". Letting Fiona run ANYTHING is a bad idea.
and an editor complaining that his article with Christian content caused him to be banned. that's no way to treat your "silver" suckers contributors
the site looks different than WT Social yet the old donate link still works... of course
They turned it into a private forum. Tightly controlled and highly censored, and I bet it's been crawling with WP insiders since 2019, fighting and backstabbing each other. Obviously not ingredients for a successful "social media" site. I continue to suspect it will eventually fall apart due to internal battles--and we will NEVER hear what really happened.

Wikipedia was the first and LAST thing Wales ever helped start, that wasn't screwed down hard. Screwing is all he knows by now. Worried about his "legacy". Hope you keep your account--a few others on this forum tried to create logins and were blocked.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:21 pm

wt.social now returns a 500 error:
SSL handshake failed
Cloudflare is unable to establish an SSL connection to the origin server.

Ray ID: 8660add45c6a08ec
Your IP address: *.*.*.*
Error reference number: 525
Cloudflare Location: Los Angeles
(censored my IP with stars)

trustcafe.io does not return any errors. yet. :^)

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:52 am

badmachine wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:21 pm
wt.social now returns a 500 error:
trustcafe.io does not return any errors. yet. :^)
Yup, wt.social is abandoned. Another wonderful Jimbo invention goes to pot. Don't be too surprised if spammers seize it and fill it with garbage within a few months.

Trust Cafe hasn't changed much--just the same pointless meandering "conversation" looking like a very boring Mastodon channel. Stupid and shallow, and 90% of the posts come from the same 20 or so users. And it's already attracting spammers.

https://www.trustcafe.io/en/post/1710263030793-59152fe7

What really interests me: a couple of those users I recognize from Wikimedia sites. But NOWHERE do I see any mention of Wikipedia or the WMF. And very few mentions of Jimbo. Wonder if that is one of the subjects they are censoring?

The Ukraine war channel consists of exactly three people reporting Russian losses and deploring the way poor Ukraine is treated. Wonder how many people who are pro-Russia, or have even a slightly nuanced view of the war, get tossed out every day.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.