"Wikipedia lost money adding Bitcoin" as payment method

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

"Wikipedia lost money adding Bitcoin" as payment method

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 pm

So the two suckiest things online joined forces, and that sucked even worse!
https://decrypt.co/20220/wikipedia-lost ... ng-bitcoin (This website is laid out annoyingly.)

Quotes:

Speaking in a panel discussion with nChain chief scientist Craig Wright, at Coingeek 2020, Wales said what really happened when it added Bitcoin.

"We did some A/B testing, where we throw up the testing thing, you can donate using credit card, PayPal, you can donate Bitcoin and it turned out that actual revenue declined when we did that. We brought in less total money, from all three sources,” Wales said.

He figured that having an option to pay in Bitcoin was a distraction, taking people away from donating. “They click and they read about it and they think ‘but I don’t have any Bitcoin, how do I get Bitcoin’ and the next thing you know they go and just invest,” he added.

(Found on Reddit's dying-fast "Buttcoin" subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comme ... g_bitcoin/ Reddit: "We've been dying since The_Donald became a thing in 2015.")
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: "Wikipedia lost money adding Bitcoin" as payment method

Post by Abd » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:27 pm

What that actually shows is that possibly the bitcoin implementation was clumsy and had the effect described. I would think that nobody who had bitcoin already would not donate because of the option, so it would only be people not possessing bitcoin that might be discouraged. And the allowance could easily direct people away from that problem.

Further, that kind of anecdote can be pure coincidence. Again, it depends on the actual impementation. The primary method of donation would be direct, normal, and then a note might allow other methods. The explanation as it is, is implausible.

And if it is on Reddit, it must be true, right? Especially a post as dumb cogent as that one.