News check for November

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

News check for November

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:52 am

This is hidden behind Outside's paywall, but is apparently a screed about social media. Including some Wiki-Lub?

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/l ... scrolling/

Thanks to archive.md, I was able to copy the relevant blather. At least he admitted it wasn't "perfect".
I don’t have any hacks or tricks that have changed my life. But I did, several months ago, delete some apps from my phone and then download the Wikipedia app and move it to the home screen.
Now, why would you do that?
Well, let’s just say you have a few minutes for some Internet stuff (and we have already established that you do, somehow, quite often, have a few minutes; see: previous paragraph about trying to look up a Useful Thing on your phone). A question for you:
Would you rather:

learn some basic information about a random topic, which you may then bring up in a conversation sometime in the next few months, or
scroll through opinions, jokes, hot takes, arguments, complaints, conspiracy theories, GIFs, and/or photos of attractive people doing things, and maybe get some basic information about something through part of that process

If you answered (a), Wikipedia is for you.
Another question:
Do you think life would be more fun in general if we all said more sentences that began with the words “Did you know …”?

Did you know the summit elevation of Mount Logan, the highest mountain in Canada, is still rising due to active tectonic uplifting?
Did you know that the cooking method for tacos al pastor is based on the lamb shawarma brought to Mexico by Lebanese immigrants?
Did you know that Alexander “Zee” Grant, who paddled the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon in a folding kayak in 1941, did not know how to roll his boat?
Did you know AJ McLean was technically the first Backstreet Boy?
Did you know that Ball’s Pyramid, an erosional remnant of a shield volcano rising 1,844 feet out of the ocean off the coast of Australia and the world’s tallest sea stack, is home to the last known wild population of the eight-inch-long Lord Howe Island stick insect, a species thought to be extinct in 1920 but rediscovered in 2014 by a group of climbers on an unauthorized expedition to climb the spire?
Did you know that Count Chocula’s full name is Count Alfred Chocula?

Because all that stuff is on Wikipedia, which literally has a section on its home page titled “Did You Know?”
Some things that are not on Wikipedia:

People from your extended family/high school/old job selling you pyramid schemes/conspiracy theories/“science” they learned about on TikTok
People arguing with each other
People you know calling you an asshole
People you’ve never met calling you an asshole
People who do not actually exist calling you an asshole
People calling other people assholes
A Like button
A Dislike button
Any sort of feature that would allow people to comment
Ads

But, you might say, Wikipedia has lots of issues. And you would be correct—there are problems, many of which are documented on the Wikipedia page titled “Why Wikipedia is not so great.”

Is it a be-all, end-all source of objective information? It is not. (What is?)
Is it a springboard for beginning to learn about something? It is.
Does it make me feel better than scrolling through social media feeds? Often.
Are the rabbit holes on Wikipedia better than social media rabbit holes? Subjectively, yes.
Does it make me feel empty on a regular basis? Not typically.

Yes, there is lots of stuff about world history on Wikipedia, and because the world has often been (and still often is) a fucked-up place, you can find yourself reading some fucked-up stuff about the past. But hear me out: learning from the past can be a lot more productive than winding yourself up trying to predict the future based on social media posts and daily news.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: News check for November

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:56 am

any bets these people are personally connected to Wikimedia Australia? And edit under unrevealed pseudonyms?

https://theconversation.com/students-ar ... rce-168834

Also: "Why Facebook makes us worse but Wikipedia makes us better"

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... us-better/

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Re: News check for November

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:13 pm

Is it a be-all, end-all source of objective information? It is not. (What is?)
Is it a springboard for beginning to learn about something? It is.
Morons like this are who the Wikipedia propaganda department was made to exploit.

It's beyond sick that they know as well as us that even this isn't true.

Wikipediocracy eats it up, showing who their site is for, and what an absolute sell out Jake is.

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... =10&t=2265

Fucking hell. I weep for humanity. Some people are just too stupid for their own good.

Did you know.......that even the Did You Know section of Wikipedia, a rarity for its formal checking procedures, isn't even immune from the much more prevalent elsewhere on the site Wikipedia disease of a fact on their page not matching the given source (if there even is a source).

My night isn't comllete until I have met some muppet who tells me some shit they learned on Wikipedia. Takes only a minute to find out they're the sort of dumb bastard who can't tell fact from fiction.

Seriously people, the smartest thing you can ever tell anyone about what you know about Wikipedia, is this....

I have read their disclaimer, and fully understand what it means.

Crucially the difference between what it says and what you will find in the disclaimer of a serious encyclopedia.

One of the things it means, is that Wikipedia is entirely fucking useless as a 'quick, tell me something interesting to make me look smart' app. Entirely useless. Unless you're the sort of dumb bastard who doesn't mind taking the risk of being caught talking utter bollocks.

I mean, fuck me, if you didn't already know where to find daily lists of interesting and TRUSTWORTHY factoids, well, are you really all that justified in thinking your friends don't already think you're a bit thick?

Don't be the Wikipediot of your social group.

:oops: