The Pierre Omidyar thread

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

The Pierre Omidyar thread

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Today the Tube Collectors Assn. members were complaining on their mailing list about an eBay seller called "Old_Guy_Radiola". He's been notorious for years for running scams and pulling tricks. Two people said the following:
> Thank you Jim for the great tutorial on keyboard scamming. This may
> explain some of the strange results I get on searches. Maybe we all
> need to follow up with EBay. Power in numbers.
>
> I've reported the seller for fraud and also white-on-white keyword
> spamming to eBay but they never do anything about it, negative
> feedback is also quickly removed I've learned from other people who
> has dealt with him. The ability to remove negative feedback should be
> abolished from ebay as it undermines the feedback system imho.

Now this is a multiyear shitshow. I've warned them about eBay over and over, and being collectors, they give eBay the "benefit of the doubt". So I posted yet another item on why you can't trust Omidyar and his "great creation":
You have GOT to be joking. Please tell me you're joking. Because I could tell you things about eBay founder Pierre Omidyar.

I've got a long file of notes left over from researching the Wikipedia book--complete with references and proof. Partly because Pierre has
given millions of dollars to the Wikimedia Foundation, and received "special treatment" in return. Including the placement of one of his
employees, Matt Halprin, on Wikimedia's Board of Trustees. Yes, that literally happened.

And that's only one incident in Pierre's long and charming history of deceiving the public and pulling dirty tricks. He's not merely a
ruthless businessman; he is also an anti-government libertarian extremist and spends millions to start organizations dedicated to things
like shutting down public schools and co-opting local governments with for-profit schemes. He even started an online "news organization" to run
the "truth" about government abuses of the Internet--and just incidentally, to make himself look like a hero.

You won't see any of the bad things in his Wikipedia biography, because for-pay editors and Wikimedia insiders watch it for him, and remove
"embarrassing info". Openly but carefully so no one will notice. Web billionaires can easily make themselves look like gods in today's
degraded regulatory climate.

For how many years have I been warning TCA members that eBay is one of the most ruthless Web corporations on earth? You can use it to buy and
sell your collectibles, but be VERY careful, and don't ever expect the company to give you an "honest break". Allowing Old_Guy_Radiola to pull
search tricks is just one of their literally-millions of abuses in the past 20 years. Complaining to eBay management very rarely results in any
improvement in their processes--it's difficult to get a major seller banned, even if you have solid court-worthy proof of illegal activity.

If you don't believe me, email me directly off-list and I'll be happy to send you a copy of my notes on Omidyar and friends. You can decide for
yourself.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Re: The Pierre Omidyar thread

Post by sashi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 pm

You should probably add a link to nsfwcorp, no? ^^

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:39 am

sashi wrote:You should probably add a link to nsfwcorp, no? ^^

That article was "vanished" for years, and I expected it would remain gone, so I copied the entire text into my notes. Ames must have restored it because Greenwald was tearing into him for daring to criticize Omidyar. How dare he.

Omidyar footed the bill to start First Look Media, bragged about it to the media, and now we're being told that Omidyar has "nothing to do" with them. Golly, I wonder what The Intercept would do with a longform article about Pierre Omidyar's political activities? Glenn Greenwald is a crusading muckraker, but I will bet you good money there are "certain limits" to his raking.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:03 am

The Nuffield Foundation in the UK has set up the Ada Lovelace Institute, a "partnership to examine the impact of data, algorithms and artificial intelligence (AI) on people and society, and to promote and support ethical practice in the public interest." Link. It appears that the Omidyar Network’s Governance & Citizen Engagement Initiative (link) is a partner. From what has been written here, it seems that Omidyar might have an interesting view about data ethics. Can anyone who knows more give a brief summary of what he and his network might be up to, please?

"