Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
User avatar
wexter
Sucks Warrior
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:18 pm
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 280 times

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by wexter » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:11 am

Addressing Public Relations on Wikipedia has gone around in circles since inception - it is one of the flaws that never gets addressed in any meaningful way... there is just too much money involved to pass on free PR and managing the narrative...

2005 - Wales edited his own Wikipedia page to erase Bomis Babes and Larry Sanger
2006 - My Wiki Biz
2007 - Microsoft in house editing
...
2011 - HJ Mitchell "Dealt with It"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... stigations
...
2012-2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki-PR_W ... ng_scandal
.......
2023 Adani Group
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."

User avatar
badmachine
Sucker
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:55 am
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 258 times
Contact:

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by badmachine » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:33 am

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:44 am
[...]
WOW. That reminds me of the recent Miraheze drama that I have been wanting to post about. I will also post about that soon.
ooh is this that drama with Dusty? i always wondered what happened there. :)

User avatar
Bbb23sucks
Sucker
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:08 am
Location: The Astral Plane
Has thanked: 1265 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:37 am

badmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:33 am
Bbb23sucks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:44 am
[...]
WOW. That reminds me of the recent Miraheze drama that I have been wanting to post about. I will also post about that soon.
ooh is this that drama with Dusty? i always wondered what happened there. :)
No. The recent drama that led their founder to resign.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

User avatar
Bbb23sucks
Sucker
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:08 am
Location: The Astral Plane
Has thanked: 1265 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:45 am

wexter wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:11 am
2023 Adani Group
Please tell me more!

I heard a lot about their corruption a few months ago, but have yet to have seen a post about them on WS.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

User avatar
wexter
Sucks Warrior
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:18 pm
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 280 times

Tupperware

Post by wexter » Thu May 04, 2023 1:00 pm

Tupperware going burp - bankrupt - about to be ka-put.. Wikipedia is late to the Tupperware party with no mention in the current version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupperware_Brands

The original article was written by "Master" Scott Hall who is a relative of Master Grayson and Master Bater

https://missourigrownusa.com/members/7641
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."

User avatar
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin
Posts: 4575
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:56 am
Location: The ass-tral plane
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 1816 times

Tupperware

Post by ericbarbour » Thu May 04, 2023 7:02 pm

a) very funny
b) the Tupperware article shows the usual paid-editing traces
c) so I'm moving this to the Paid Editing thread

https://www.enca.com/business/tupperwar ... -comes-end
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65243711

User avatar
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin
Posts: 4575
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:56 am
Location: The ass-tral plane
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 1816 times

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by ericbarbour » Thu May 04, 2023 7:21 pm

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:45 am
wexter wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:11 am
2023 Adani Group
I heard a lot about their corruption a few months ago, but have yet to have seen a post about them on WS.
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 209_1.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ion_report

User avatar
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin
Posts: 4575
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:56 am
Location: The ass-tral plane
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 1816 times

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by ericbarbour » Sat May 06, 2023 1:56 am

I swear that someone from the South Korean tourist board is editing English WP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_Province
contains breathless drivel like
The Geomunoreum lava tube system is the most impressive and significant series of protected lava tubes in the world and includes a spectacular array of secondary carbonate speleothems (stalactites and other formations). It overwhelms other lava tubes with its abundance and diversity. The Geomunoreum lava tube system, which is regarded as the finest such cave system in the world, has an outstanding visual impact even for those experienced with such phenomena. It displays the unique spectacle of multi-colored carbonate decorations adorning the roofs and floors, and dark-colored lava walls, partially covered by a mural of carbonate deposits.
More of the same in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_Volc ... Lava_Tubes

Also on Jeju Island:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Land_(South_Korea)

User avatar
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin
Posts: 4575
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:56 am
Location: The ass-tral plane
Has thanked: 1129 times
Been thanked: 1816 times

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by ericbarbour » Sat May 13, 2023 1:15 am

Saw this today

https://www.propublica.org/article/ugly ... gly-houses

So checked the WP coverage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomeVestors_of_America

This person created it in 2011 and made it into a corporate BJ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... Lbernfeld1
This freak tried to be "subtle". But wasn't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... loral_Sent

Problem? Of course there's a problem. You can be sure of it, knowing that Golden Fuckhead Of The Wiki David Gerard tried to delete the article in 2019, shortly after Floral Sent's edit binge, despite the subject being unquestionably "notable enough". HomeVestors already had a dark reputation but it took a ProPublica expose to get it on Wikipedia. That's partly because HomeVestors and their franchisees tend to make legal threats to shut people up.

AND HAVE A NICE DAY

User avatar
Bbb23sucks
Sucker
Posts: 1341
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:08 am
Location: The Astral Plane
Has thanked: 1265 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Paid Editing on WP is permissible

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sat May 13, 2023 4:03 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 1:15 am
Saw this today

https://www.propublica.org/article/ugly ... gly-houses

So checked the WP coverage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomeVestors_of_America

This person created it in 2011 and made it into a corporate BJ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... Lbernfeld1
This freak tried to be "subtle". But wasn't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... loral_Sent

Problem? Of course there's a problem. You can be sure of it, knowing that Golden Fuckhead Of The Wiki David Gerard tried to delete the article in 2019, shortly after Floral Sent's edit binge, despite the subject being unquestionably "notable enough". HomeVestors already had a dark reputation but it took a ProPublica expose to get it on Wikipedia. That's partly because HomeVestors and their franchisees tend to make legal threats to shut people up.

AND HAVE A NICE DAY
Looks like they are still trying to control the article

This person added a section about the scandal. Let's see if it stays.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Post Reply