Josh Gordon and eBay

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
boredbird
Sucks Mod

Re: Josh Gordon and eBay

Post by boredbird » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:54 am

Someone told me that Josh is literally a Satanist, is that true?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Josh Gordon and eBay

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:37 am

boredbird wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:54 am
Someone told me that Josh is literally a Satanist, is that true?
From a biographical essay Josh himself wrote in 1988:
"First glimpse of Magick other than the usual hippie tarot stuff: my best friend (in high school, and now) is a guy named Robin (a wizard musician, best baroque bassoonist in the universe). On his bedroom shelf in Tarzana were a bunch of old books belonging to his grandfather. Among the books were a complete set of the Equinox, a first-edition 777, Book 4, and several signed and numbered Frater Achad books. Seems that Robin's grandpa was a travelling salesman and an Achad student. The books were very used, and we looked at them with some interest. However, at the time I was a pretty strong rationalist, an avowed atheist; and it wasn't much more than strange and interesting. I did get into astrological charts and such; they pleased my mathematical mind. And I got into the habit of scrawling the Tree of Life on all my possessions. Several years later, a friend turned me on to Robert Anton Wilson. A little after that, Piers Anthony started his Cluster trilogy. The Crowley references in the works of both authors piqued my curiosity again, so I bought a copy of "The Book of Thoth" and got a Thoth deck. The "Naples arrangement" discussion in "Thoth" opened my eyes to the Qabalistic structure. I then picked up the Book of Lies and discovered my guiding poem: "Doubt. Doubt thyself....Doubt all. Doubt thou doubtest all." This poem, by Crowley, somehow made me feel free to immerse myself in the study of Crowley, because I knew he was telling me to keep open my channels of scientific skepticism. My education in the concepts of Thelema and my acceptance of the Law of Thelema as the ideal state of Man followed in the next couple of years. One day at Shambhala (a local bookstore), I noticed a flyer with an OTO address; I sent them a letter, expressing interest and asking what I should do if I wanted to learn more. I got a response suggesting I read some stuff and maybe attend a class. I went to one of the Tarot classes, decided I liked the people, and took my Minerval initiaiton with the OTO in March of 1981. "(sic)

"Since that time, I've had interesting and varied experiences within and without the Order. I was instrumental in the discovery and return to the Order of the manuscript of the Book of the Law, which, as far as I'm concerned, suffices as my life's work for the Order (if I do nothing else, that was enough). In the last couple of years, I've realized that OTO is not sufficient for me; I've also needs on the "earthy" side, as well as the intellectual side, so I've been working Wiccan as well. In fact, I've dedicated myself to the Great Work of tearing down the walls between Craft and Craft, between Ceremonial Magick and Wicca. I see no need for the strong distinction some people insist on making, and I live my life as an example that no such distinction is necessary. "
Yes, he was a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis. ANd dabbled in Wiccanism on the side. Remember that his family background is Russian Jewish (originally they were called Khrabalavsky) and that he's cooperated with the Jayjg and Cirt crew many times. Wonder if they know--or care--what a crazy off-the-wall, and not really Jewish, hippie Josh actually is.