Nathalie Martin resigned as ED of Wikimedia France

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Nathalie Martin resigned as ED of Wikimedia France

Post by Kumioko » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:01 pm

As announced in the Wikimedia mailing list here: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 88549.html, Nathalie Martin (Link to Wikimedia France userpage here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Na ... rtin_(WMFR)) has resigned as the Executive Director of Wikimedia France. She announced this in an email to Chris Keating.

Her reasons for the resignation, shockingly enough, is the deteriorating climate in WMFR in recent months. She reported that certain people (no names given but hopefully more will develop on who these individuals were) have ceaselessly harassed and libelled her. This situation has made her resignation inevitable.

Here email, in French as reported in the Mailing list (copied here just in case it is deleted or hidden to limit bad press).

Bonjour à tous,
Je vous écris pour vous faire part de mon départ de la direction de Wikimedia France.
En quatre ans, beaucoup de chemin a été parcouru : l’association n’est plus ce qu’elle était en 2013, elle a pris une envergure considérable. Du point de vue du fonctionnement quotidien, il y a aujourd’hui une équipe salariée structurée, des locaux fonctionnels, une organisation des partenariats, une gestion conforme à ce qui est attendu par le Commissaire aux Comptes… A tel point que nous sommes en passe d’avoir la reconnaissance d’utilité publique. Durant ces années, nous avons obtenu de beaux succès tels que les labellisations Ideas et Essec, l’identification et la valorisation de notre action par les pouvoirs publics (PGO, jury entrepreneur d’intérêt général, différents agréments des Ministères…), le développement des groupes locaux et d’actions d’envergure nationale (Mooc, Lingua Libre, Ma commune Wikipédia…)
Je suis particulièrement fière de ce qui a été accompli en termes de plaidoyer au niveau des politiques mais aussi du grand public pour faire progresser la connaissance libre.
Ce bilan positif a été malheureusement entaché par le climat délétère de ces derniers mois. Quelques personnes, pour des motivations obscures et peu compatibles avec l’intérêt collectif de notre action, n’ont eu de cesse de me calomnier et de me harceler. J’ai souhaité défendre le statut de salarié dans notre organisation car tout salarié chez Wikimedia France doit, ou dois-je dire, devrait, bénéficier des mêmes droits que n’importe quel salarié en France.
Compte tenu de cette situation de violence gratuite et incessante, mon départ devenait inévitable. Je vais maintenant pouvoir me consacrer à d’autres projets.
Je veux cependant saluer ici des personnalités aux qualités exceptionnelles. J’ai eu l’honneur d’être soutenue par des personnes courageuses et intègres, qui alors qu’elles n’avaient aucun intérêt personnel à s’élever contre le harcèlement dont je faisais l’objet, n’ont pas hésité à creuser la réalité de la situation et des enjeux des uns et des autres et à s’opposer à l’acharnement insensé dont je faisais l’objet. Je garderai précieusement en mémoire ce que certains membres du CA ou certains salariés ont fait. Il n’est pas utile de les citer, ils se reconnaîtront. Ils sont d’autant plus méritants, qu’en faisant ce choix, certains se sont fait harceler en retour.
C’est avec la sensation d’avoir accompli tout ce qui était en mon pouvoir, que je quitte cette structure et lui souhaite le meilleur pour l’avenir.
Nathalie Martin

Roughly translated in English thanks to Google translate:

Hello everyone,
I am writing to let you know of my departure from the management of Wikimedia France.

In four years, a long way has been traveled: the association is no longer what it was in 2013, it took a considerable scale. From the point of view of day-to-day operations, there is now a structured salaried team, functional premises, an organization of partnerships, management in line with what is expected by the Auditor ... So much so that we are in the process to have recognition of public utility. During these years we have achieved great successes such as Ideas and Essec labeling, the identification and valorization of our actions by the public authorities (PGO, jury entrepreneur of general interest, various approvals of the Ministries ...), development local groups and actions of national scope (Mooc, Lingua Libre, Ma commune Wikipédia ...)

I am particularly proud of what has been accomplished in terms of policy advocacy but also of the general public in advancing free knowledge.
This positive balance has been unfortunately tainted by the detrimental climate of recent months. Some people, for obscure reasons and not very compatible with the collective interest of our action, have not ceased to calumniate me and to harass me. I wanted to defend the status of employee in our organization because any employee at Wikimedia France should, or should I say, have the same rights as any employee in France.

Given this situation of gratuitous and incessant violence, my departure became inevitable. I will now be able to devote myself to other projects.

However, I would like to welcome some outstanding personalities. I had the honor to be supported by courageous and upright people who, although they had no personal interest in speaking out against the harassment I was subjected to, did not hesitate to dig the reality of the situation and of the stakes of each other and to oppose the insane stubbornness with which I was the object. I will keep in mind what some members of the Board or some employees have done. It is not useful to quote them, they will recognize each other. They are all the more deserving, because by making this choice, some have been harassed in return.

It is with the feeling of having accomplished all that was in my power, that I leave this structure and wish it the best for the future.

Obviously Ms. Martin wanted to leave with some dignity and without burning bridges but this resignation outlines how completely useless the Wikimedia Foundation and the James Alexander led Safety and Security team are about protecting their editors and employees. When they cannot even help an established and high level individual like this, what kind of support can the regular editors expect? The WMF like to talk a big game about improving the environment and making it safe for women to edit and they allow this sort of conduct to go unchecked.

This disgraceful development is entirely the fault of the WMF, James Alexander and the so called Safety and Security team and all editors should see this as the sign that it is that editing the Wikimedia projects isn't a safe environment. It is hostile, it is violent and editors should edit at their own risk!
#BbbGate

sashi
Sucks Critic

Re: Nathalie Martin resigned as ED of Wikimedia France

Post by sashi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:16 pm

I don't want to go digging into WMF France's dirty laundry (some of my translations got blown away with WR), but I do get the impression that the story is quite a bit more complicated than her resignation letter lets on. She doesn't seem to be taking any responsibility whatsoever (except for the good stuff)... bref. not my onions. :)

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:25 pm

sashi wrote:I don't want to go digging into WMF France's dirty laundry (some of my translations got blown away with WR), but I do get the impression that the story is quite a bit more complicated than her resignation letter lets on. She doesn't seem to be taking any responsibility whatsoever (except for the good stuff)... bref. not my onions. :)

Oh for sure there is more to the story on both sides. I plan on watching the mailing list to see how the discussion develops there. I am especially curious to here the names of these individuals and get some clarify on what they were doing that was determined to be "violent" and "harassing".
#BbbGate

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 pm

I wonder if this article has anything to do with it? http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/rue89/ru ... rance.html

I won't be a copyright violator by repasting the whole thing here but there are some pretty serious allegations on both sides with regards to Wikimedia france, Nepitism and the use of WMF funds, among other problems.

If someone has the time and desire, this might be a good blog posting over at WPO if someone wants to claim that $50 bounty from Greg on acceptable blog content. This has the potential to steam into a real good critical piece about the WMF, it's affiliates the hostile atmosphere and the use and misuse of donor funds.
#BbbGate

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:10 pm

The Wikimedia Foundation and the James Alexander Safety and Security team and protecting! Give me a break! But WMF has no idea what happens in the chapters.
In Dutch, Frans Grijzenhout about Wikipsychose 2017:

"Op zaterdag samen met Sandra Rientjes gesproken met een afvaardiging van de FDC. Een goed gesprek, onder andere over de mogelijkheid om ons halfjaar bericht mee te nemen in de beraadslagingen over de grant toekenning. De FCD is tevreden ver dvan onze grant aanvragen en de verslaggeving. Er zijn enkele experimenten gaande met grantsverzoeken met een looptijd van 2 jaar. Gegeven het stabiele karakter van de Nederlandse chapter komen wij hiervoor ook in aanmerking. Zal in het bestuur besproken worden."

In short, FDC is very happy with Wikimedia-NL, the quality of the grant request, and their report. There is a experiment to give a grand for two years, and because the chapter is so stabile, they are eligible. Well, stabile they are! For years and years there members are the biggest trolls I have ever seen, and it's a dirty kongsi, in general there projects are useless, and only to create a few jobs for fiends. And that is the stabile Wikimedia-NL!

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Yeah the Wikimedia projects are nepotistic by their very nature. It's a jobs for admins program or insiders and suck ups that otherwise would be (and many still are) living in their mothers basement.
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Kumioko wrote:Yeah the Wikimedia projects are nepotistic by their very nature. It's a jobs for admins program or insiders and suck ups that otherwise would be (and many still are) living in their mothers basement.

Correct; it evolved in a manner quite similar to other major nonprofits. Nepotism, ass-kissing and backstabbing abound; competence is a little harder to find. Go look at the numerous criticisms of the American Red Cross in the last week thanks to Hurricane Harvey. Not much difference in the way the RC and the WMF semi-function.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... red-cross/

And they love having Wikimedia chapters as "outside agencies" who get occasional manna from heaven in the form of FDC funding. It gives the WMF a deniability firewall from certain abuses--while keeping the chapters "in line" by starving them of money if they go "rogue".

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:01 pm

sashi wrote:I don't want to go digging into WMF France's dirty laundry (some of my translations got blown away with WR), but I do get the impression that the story is quite a bit more complicated than her resignation letter lets on. She doesn't seem to be taking any responsibility whatsoever (except for the good stuff)... bref. not my onions. :)
Sashi, do you have (or can you find) the link to that timeline of WM-France events that was shared by the other French speaker on WR-2? It occurs to me that members and staff here may not have seen it. I couldn't find the link in my cursory search.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:33 pm

ericbarbour wrote:And they love having Wikimedia chapters as "outside agencies" who get occasional manna from heaven in the form of FDC funding. It gives the WMF a deniability firewall from certain abuses--while keeping the chapters "in line" by starving them of money if they go "rogue".

Indeed, they are addicted to the money, because they can't survive without that grands. And, because almost every sysop, arbcom member a Wikimedia member is, has WMF the full power over the projects.
BUT, legal it stinks. Because of our Code Napoléon, Code civil privaatrecht, what is complet different from the anglo-Saxon common law, is WMF, Wikimedia.nl and Wikipedia.nl legal connected! There is no buffer between. And when you have Wiki european lawyers (You know about who I am talking) who you trusted, and who has implanted the anglo-Saxon Common Law in the European legal system in there crackheads, well, you have a problem. A huge problem. An insoluble problem to be exacte.
Yes, of course there is a solution, James Alexander and his so called Safety and Security team who kicked the one out who said that the Emperor had no clothes on, but i doubt whether that 's the solution at the end...
Last edited by Graaf Statler on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.