Molly White is running a blog bitching about NFTs and crypto

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
journo
Sucks Fan

Re: Molly White is running a blog bitching about NFTs and crypto

Post by journo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:43 pm

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:49 pm
the biggest losers are the Effective Altruism movement where many people are now viewing it as indistiguishable from cults and FTX even though logically that's doesn't hold water at all
Sort of glossed over this sorry but agreed on the last part. Haven't look much at that "movement" but I did notice Wikipedia, specifically User:Nogbert and everyone after them on this page
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1145862218

are utilizing FTX over other criminal financial fraud to denigrate secular/rationalist altruism or 'effective altruism' as an idea.

Now, the only people I know who are ideologically are opposed to altruism are:
* 1) sociopaths
**a1) right-libertarians
**a2) neoliberals

Religion doesn't have a monopoly on altruism, secular people like Peter Singer are perfectly in their right to advocate it as a 24/7 lifestyle without being browbeaten by weird wiki sociopaths trying to defame him and others with some tiny crypto exchange owner.

Fried wasn't even an altruist, he explicitly stated he was amoral in a DM exchange to a journalist. And yet Wikipedians still wanna hurt secular altruists because Fried was allegedly a donor to something related to MacAskill at some point.

Also from Wikipedia
A 2023 Bloomberg article interviewing some self-described altruists criticized altruism's philosophy as masking a culture of predatory behavior
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_altruism

Jesus christ

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:51 pm

Wikipedia's DNA was astray from the beginning the moment it was founded and dominated by sociopaths. For it to work as expected without side effects, modicums of altruism are a must. Otherwise as you see it devolves into a nuthouse where people compete to be the biggest powertrippers.

journo
Sucks Fan

Post by journo » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:09 pm

In Molly's video here, she goes on to dismiss pretty much all widely discussed use cases for crypto as inferior to previous methods.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Whi ... _criticism

She even dismisses it's use for smuggling large amounts of money out of an authoritarian country during a war. She states a box of jewels would be more effective.

I dunno I think memorizing or writing a 20 word seed is more effective than smuggling literal jewels on a plane.

Pretty much every time the government has "seized crypto" it's because someone was using hot storage for the private key. Really, if you are a criminal and/or refugee keeping keys on hot storage, you want your commodities seized..

"Owning crypto-commodities" really just means knowing a very long number, which can be encoded to a few words for memory sake. There's also no or few ways to humanely censor the "ownership" if it is just in your head.

journo
Sucks Fan

Post by journo » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:40 pm

Owner of gossip site comprised primarily of Republican Party propagandists, video game griefers and harassers (and likeminded people) "Kiwifarms" has been implying on his site that the Wikipedia article is perhaps the most important thing to get the torrent of hate directed at KiwiFarms to stop.

They closed their thread on Molly and still wretch about Wikipedia. Owner of Kiwifarms uses Jimmy Wales as some sort of effigy, (he's not even an admin anymore) while giving Molly props for allegedly being disciplinary to an activist against KiwiFarms on the page. (I don't know if she actually did, but that's the impression Josh is trying to give).

https://archive.is/EOL30

journo
Sucks Fan

Post by journo » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:26 am

journo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:37 am
Most people have no clue who bankman-fried is or what "cryptocurrency" exactly is. I guarantee no one in my family has any idea for example.
Nevermind my mom texted me the bankman story unprompted so its like the only crypto story she knows now. News was bombarded with stories after his sentencing trying to make this out like an Enron. I don't even know anyone who used the exchange.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:27 pm

journo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:26 am
Nevermind my mom texted me the bankman story unprompted so its like the only crypto story she knows now. News was bombarded with stories after his sentencing trying to make this out like an Enron. I don't even know anyone who used the exchange.
Mostly because it was little mentioned, except in business news, because SBF and his "cult-thing" managed to screw billions of dollars out of "serious investors". (?) Otherwise it was a long and boring court case with much talktalktalk. But little Sammy got 25 years the other day and yer mum couldn't miss that. Plus Sammy kept blaming others for doing "wrong things". Quite a good weasel-out artist but not good enough. "He seems like such a nice young man!" Arrrrgh.

I missed your comments about Josh Moon sniping at Wikipedia. He's been doing that for years, along with a lot of KF users. I should note that it's AMAZING this X-shitter account Josh is using has survived for several months. He's been b& from Shitter more times than anyone can count or remember. Jeez....I should post that little factoid......
Last edited by ericbarbour on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

journo
Sucks Fan

Post by journo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:50 pm

The Mt Gox collapse was way more interesting to me. There's a gazillion indictment stories related to it and it was the largest crypto exchange and the first crypto exchange when it collapsed. There's still news about it.

The top exchanges have been a string of criminal collapses and failures practically since "crypto" started. Hasn't really hindered its growth.

The weird thing about Mt Gox was its owner was found innocent in a court system with a 99% "found guilty" rate (Japan).
Last edited by journo on Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:34 pm

Last edited by ericbarbour on Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 pm

Funny WPO thread about a podcast featuring Molly claiming that "Wikipedia is all there is left of the internet" or something.....

https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=13477
The transcript is a formless horror, so I edited out 146 instances of 'you know' - broke it up into readable chunks, and tried to fix the transcription errors. Trigger warning for Greg Kohs, there are dozens of sentences in this transcript that begin with the word 'So.'

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:18 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 pm
Molly claiming that "Wikipedia is all there is left of the internet" or something.....
Bullshit Sucks is all that's left. Sucks or GTFO got it Molly?