Former Redirect Article Search Engine Indexing

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
vertigoceres
Sucks Noob

Former Redirect Article Search Engine Indexing

Post by vertigoceres » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:39 pm

I just edited an article for a musician that was, until recently, a redirect to one of that musician's songs. The page is now an original article for that musician.

What's the process for that page being indexed for search engines (Google etc)? Is there anything I need to do on my end? TIA!

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Former Redirect Article Search Engine Indexing

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:35 am

vertigoceres wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:39 pm
What's the process for that page being indexed for search engines (Google etc)? Is there anything I need to do on my end?
There's nothing you CAN do. Within 24-48 hours Google will see it and index it. There is some contention about how long this takes, because Google never tells anyone outside the company anything about their precious algorithms. A few days after that, all the other search engines will do the same (because they just scrape Google).

You won't be able to stop it--unless some Wiki-bastard AFDs it successfully. Then it will vanish from search engines in the same amount of time. Google and WP are permanently joined at the hip, which is one reason Google has so many critics. They just "assume" anything on Wikipedia is "accurate" and "useful" whether it is or not. Which it often is not.

boredbird
Sucks Mod

Post by boredbird » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:17 am

vertigoceres wrote:
What's the process for that page being indexed for search engines (Google etc)? Is there anything I need to do on my end? TIA!
The process is to post a link here saying that you wrote the article and you want it indexed asap because COI.

Or you could just wait a couple months and it will happen automatically.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:08 pm

vertigoceres wrote:
I just edited an article for a musician that was, until recently, a redirect to one of that musician's songs. The page is now an original article for that musician.

post the info to wikidata and if you can also post different language versions but the wikidata addition would really help a lot. sorry i missed this somehow