Phillipe Beaudette's 2015 Resignation Email

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Phillipe Beaudette's 2015 Resignation Email

Post by Mutineer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:59 am

Came across this and thought it might be good to have on record here. Philippe publicly (Wikimedia-l) provided his telephone number and so forth, I'm blanking them because we run a responsible forum. Here:

Philippe Beaudette [email clipped]
Mon Aug 31 19:01:26 UTC 2015

Dear friends,

Six years is a long time. Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
be a part of so many things with you. And I'm proud of what we've done
together. For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical. I'll
never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.

But it's time for me to move on.

As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
health. I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
exciting opportunities.

When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
was, she began to consider the idea.

I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
are important to me. And I look around and I know that with the
contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
safe. So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.

As a housekeeping note: I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
questions. If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
properly assigned out.

You can all reach out to me at any time... [email clipped] ... and
any time I see you will be a celebration.

With my deepest affection,

Philippe

*Philippe Beaudette * \\ Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.

[telephone number etc. clipped]

I've always been a bit curious about his health. It seems frankly insane to leave a job because you have a severe health problem. Was he among those forced out by then-Director Lila Tretikov, and this is the way the WMF allowed him to describe it?
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

The End
Sucks Fan

Re: Phillipe Beaudette's 2015 Resignation Email

Post by The End » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:25 pm

He worked at Wikia, then Reddit, and finally Atlassian.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/philippebeaudette/

I bet working at Reddit following the Ellen Pao controversy was fun. He didn't stay long there and I don't blame him.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Philippe Beaudette [email clipped]

When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?"

Her predecessor warned for corruption in the organisation, and she is asking, is it safe, If I leave, is it safe?
No of course it is not safe! But why for the hell are these people writing such a incredible nonsens? That's what I wonder.

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Post by Mutineer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:Her predecessor warned for corruption in the organisation, and she is asking, is it safe, If I leave, is it safe?
No of course it is not safe! But why for the hell are these people writing such a incredible nonsens? That's what I wonder.

It sounds fluffy and full of good will to write a "you guys are great" or a "my motives are always for the best of the organization" resignation letter, even if you're getting the boot behind the scenes.

In the case of Sue Gardner, she did virtually nothing during the last months (year plus?) of her tenure, despite being handsomely paid. She didn't come in to the office for work. When the question arose (I think on Wikimedia-l) "why are we paying her all this money?" the WMF excuse-makers and "move along, there's nothing to see here" types ginned up "oh, Sue was available for advice, must've taken 3 or 4 phone-calls a month, and no doubt was doing all kinds of great WMF work in her home office. though we don't have formal records of any of that and her contract did not oblige us to make any."
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Here is how I am reading his Email.

For the last couple years the WMF has become less and less of a positive place to work and that the environment is hostile and unhealthy. He clearly isn't happy in the organization anymore and feels he would rather leave it and suffer the consequences of not have any income, health insurance,etc. than to continue working there another day.
#BbbGate

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Kumioko wrote:Here is how I am reading his Email.

For the last couple years the WMF has become less and less of a positive place to work and that the environment is hostile and unhealthy. He clearly isn't happy in the organization anymore and feels he would rather leave it and suffer the consequences of not have any income, health insurance,etc. than to continue working there another day.

Me too. WMF looks to me a snake pit full of hate and bitternes, and I think if you are serious ill it is better to leave, to any cost. And what I said before, I am sure WMF knows very well what is wrong, but there is no way to change anything, because of the chaotic structure of the Wiki mouvement.
And, of course they can put Maher on a stage as a sexy power woman with here calling that bunch of Wikiidiots the fact checkers of the world, but that does'n help or change anything. If you have a closer look to that strategy 2030, you notice it is not a strategy at all. It is all a unreachable dream. I think they are broke a long time before 2030.

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:27 am

I wonder though if he still drinks the proverbial Wikipedia Kool-Aid and sees its critics as enemies of freedom? I would like to hear his stories of the WMF, Wikia, and even Reddit.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:51 pm

The End wrote:I wonder though if he still drinks the proverbial Wikipedia Kool-Aid and sees its critics as enemies of freedom? I would like to hear his stories of the WMF, Wikia, and even Reddit.

Me too given that he has spent so much time behind the curtain and shoveling the poo. It's doubtful that he will ever speak ill of the place though out of some misplaced sense of duty and honor.
#BbbGate

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:36 pm

The End wrote:He worked at Wikia, then Reddit, and finally Atlassian.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/philippebeaudette/

I bet working at Reddit following the Ellen Pao controversy was fun. He didn't stay long there and I don't blame him.

It wasn't called "the Ellen Pao controversy" on-site, it was derisively (and tastelessly) known as "the Paoacaust." It only happened because Reddit has never been fully administrated - people cost money, so why not let users become moderators? And so because Conde-Naste was cheap, they made the moderator revolt possible....each subforum (subreddit) has a moderator or a huge number of them (r/The_Donald has 30-40 which switch positions after a number of months for some reason), and as a "mod" there is the special moderator subreddit. That subreddit got flooded with abuse when Pao took over, and then "joke" subreddits criticizing Pao like this or this house of rage. Some of it has been taken down, some of it remains as The Ruins of Two Years Ago. It was all foreshadowing for The_Donald and the online Alt-Right.

Yishan Wong, ex-Reddit CEO in 2015:

AYYYYYY LMAO

How’s everyone doing? This is AWESOME!

There’s something I neglected to tell you all this time (“executive privilege”), but I’m declassifying a lot of things these days. Back around the time of the /r/creepshots[1]debacle, I wrote to /u/spez[2] [Alexis Ohanian] for advice. I had met him shortly after I had taken the job, and found him to be a great guy. Back in the day when reddit was small, the areas he oversaw were engineering, product, and the business aspects - those are the same things I tend to focus on in a company (each CEO has certain areas of natural focus, and hires others to oversee the rest). As a result, we were able to connect really well and have a lot of great conversations - talking to him was really valuable.

Well, when things were heating around the /r/creepshots[3]thing and people were calling for its banning, I wrote to him to ask for advice. The very interesting thing he wrote back was “back when I was running things, if there was anything racist, sexist, or homophobic I’d ban it right away. I don’t think there’s a place for such things on reddit. Of course, now that reddit is much bigger, I understand if maybe things are different.”

I’ve always remembered that email when I read the occasional posting here where people say “the founders of reddit intended this to be a place for free speech.” Human minds love originalism, e.g. “we’re in trouble, so surely if we go back to the original intentions, we can make things good again.” Sorry to tell you guys but NO, that wasn’t their intention at all ever. Sucks to be you, /r/coontown[4] - I hope you enjoy voat!

The free speech policy was something I formalized because it seemed like the wiser course at the time. It’s worth stating that in that era, we were talking about whether it was ok for people to post creepy pictures of women taken legally in public. That’s shitty, but it’s a far cry from the extremes of hate that some parts of the site host today. It seemed that allowing creepers to post (anonymized) pictures of women taken in public, in a relatively small subreddit that never showed up on the front page, was a small price to pay for making it clear that we were a place welcoming of all opinions and discourse.

Having made that decision - much of reddit’s current condition is on me. I didn’t anticipate what (some) redditors would decide to do with freedom. reddit has become a lot bigger - yes, a lot better - AND a lot worse. I have to take responsibility.

But... the most delicious part of this is that on at least two separate occasions, the board pressed /u/ekjp[5] [Ellen Pao] to outright ban ALL the hate subreddits in a sweeping purge. She resisted, knowing the community, claiming it would be a shitshow. Ellen isn’t some “evil, manipulative, out-of-touch incompetent she-devil” as was often depicted. She was approved by the board and recommended by me because when I left, she was the only technology executive anywhere who had the chops and experience to manage a startup of this size, AND who understood what reddit was all about. As we can see from her post-resignation activity[6] , she knows perfectly well how to fit in with the reddit community and is a normal, funny person - just like in real life - she simply didn’t sit on reddit all day because she was busy with her day job.

Ellen was more or less inclined to continue upholding my free-speech policies. /r/fatpeoplehate[7] was banned for inciting off-site harassment, not discussing fat-shaming. What all the white-power racist-sexist neckbeards don’t understand is that with her at the head of the company, the company would be immune to accusations of promoting sexism and racism: she is literally Silicon Valley’s #1 Feminist Hero, so any “SJWs” would have a hard time attacking the company for intentionally creating a bastion (heh) of sexist/racist content. She probably would have tolerated your existence so long as you didn’t cause any problems - I know that her long-term strategies were to find ways to surface and publicize reddit’s good parts - allowing the bad parts to exist but keeping them out of the spotlight. It would have been very principled - the CEO of reddit, who once sued her previous employer for sexual discrimination, upholds free speech and tolerates the ugly side of humanity because it is so important to maintaining a platform for open discourse. It would have been unassailable.

Well, now she’s gone (you did it reddit!), and /u/spez[8] has the moral authority as a co-founder to move ahead with the purge. We tried to let you govern yourselves and you failed, so now The Man is going to set some Rules. Admittedly, I can’t say I’m terribly upset.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:49 am

Kumioko wrote:Here is how I am reading his Email.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between what he wrote and what you wrote. Also i think COBRA allows people to retain their health insurance for at least a while before expiring.

Hopefully he is in good health and is taking care of himself. :]