ArbCom election 2018

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: ArbCom election 2018

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:14 am

Drmies wrote:You know Gerda asked me, above, about that one statement--which was made halfway through a discussion on whether to accept some case or not. It was practically accpeted, then Opabinia came along and swung the court, so to speak, in a very public forum, and the case was declined. I thought that was great.
I'm starting to wonder if he does actually remember that the case was later accepted, and found cause to sanction the editor, so no, not great at all. He was no longer an Arbitrator by then, so you can see how the lazy fuck might have missed it.

Just as Opabina had wanted, and still being an Arbitrator, it got accepted as "Joefromrandb and others", as some last desperate hope it could be shown that somehow none of this was his fault, he had been tricked into it all, one of the favourite excuses of the fuck civility crowd. Alas, no 'others" we're identified, much less sanctioned.

Drmies and Opabina delayed this absolutely necessary case from happening for three months, which turned out to be half the length of his eventual sanction, so not an insignificant obstruction. Three months was long enough that others suffered needlessly, but not long enough that these two can reasonably claim there had been a material change in circumstances. Indeed, Opabina even tried to get the second request declined, lamenting the fact Joe had not taken advantage of the "lucky break" she had engineered for him.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:30 am

Drmies wrote:there are two specific things that I wanted to get done last time and I did get them done--meaning, twice I managed to convince the committee to do something, something good, in relation to specific editors.
Hmmm. Seems pretty obvious that getting Malik Shabaz accepted as not insane, so he could request his Admin tools back no questions asked, was one of the things. I wonder what the second one was? Get the appeal from the editor Drmies blocked as revenge for supposedly triggering Malik, declined? It's not like he would have recused, he never did for the original block.

It's Drmies, so when he doesn't volunteer specifics, you basically have to assume it was something dodgy, something to benefit him and his friends, but not necessarily Wikipedia. You can see from what Malik has done since, what a fucking disaster it would have been if he had actually requested his tools back. Drmies was so disappointed Malik didn't enthusiastically receive his gift, and he has only ever shown sympathy and regret for Malik, never his victims, which includes his brother Administrators.

If Drmies wants back into the committee, it must be because in those four days, he has thought of another way he could help himself or one of his buddies by being on there. Maybe he will be fiddling with log entires, maybe he will be trying to get another bad editor recertified as not insane. Maybe he just wants to get in Opabina's knickers.

The trouble with Drmies is, he has so many truly horrible editors as friends, it's tough to guess which one he might want to help most, from the Eagle's Nest.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Finally, a candidate is standing who is not a current or former Arbitrator, and not totally unsuitable. Lourdes.

Here's why she doesn't deserve your vote....

1. She is probably nuts

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... f=19&t=450

2. She claims to "realize the imperative to strengthen the editor base internationally and to be more inclusive" and yet she specifically named Drmies, Iridescent, Ritchie and Cullen as Administrators she admires. Old white elitist dudes, to whom stupidity, hostility (passive and overt), misrepresentation, wikipolitics and incompetence, are no strangers in their style of Adminship. The exact sort of Administrators ArbCom would be desysopping, if Wikipedia worked and the desire for inclusiveness was real, rather than just convenient PR. So she really is either nuts, or too stupid for this role.

She probably will be elected, because she is a woman, and many voters won't see beyond that. They need more women on the committee, if only for the optics, and who cares what they'll do when they get there, even if they turn out to be gender traitors (or continue to be, as was the case with Opabina Regalis).

But crucially, what will be highly attractive to the toxic sludge that makes up a critical mass of the voter base (barely a few hundred editors are needed to turn victory into defeat), is that she seems to be a woman who is easily led (look at her idols!) or even easily intimidated away from acting on those instincts and insight that might have otherwise indicated she would be a friend to voters looking for more inclusiveness. She did nothing in the face of the naked threats she received if she even dared to block MjolnirPants for example, even though they came from her fellow Administrators.

Well, not nothing, she launched a proposal that attempted to get community ratification for the idea it isn't acceptable to repeatedly tell fellow editors to fuck off, and there is no contextual reason for not making that a hard rule, to be overlooked only if there is a clear and obvious benefit to Wikipedia (IAR).

This is of course already a sensible reading of the civility policy, given the inclusion of repeated and targeted as qualifiers, and it got healthy support because of it. Not enough though, because the toxics prefer the de facto situation - fuck policy, it's fine if the person is a Face and/or if the Wikipedia insiders think it was justifiable.

As such, they opposed in their droves, both for those shamefully corrupt reasons, and all the other usual stuff which is, ironically, a violation of civil (do not ignore the positions of others), or indeed the basic tenets of Wikipedia (do not waste other people's time by talking utter shite, especially if you are only doing so to prevent a consensus emerging). Many of those were, of course, Administrators, but you will note Lourdes' idols were all too politically smart to make their views known. Except Ritchie, but he really is a dumbass.

The act of merely posting that proposal at all, probably really does illustrate her epic stupidity, and perhaps a massive naive streak. The policy is already being widely undermined through the daily actions of people like Drmies, the corrupt Administrators who hold the real power in Wikipedia. And so it is hardly surprising that the answer was, let's just keep pretending this is normal.

If this candidacy is her way of rectifying that failure of the community to honestly uphold its own policies, the policies which outsiders, specifically woman and minorities, might naively assume are followed and thus persuade them to join, then all power to her. That is the theoretical way things are meant to work.

If she thinks she will achieve anything of the sort with Drmies by her side, on the very same committee, she is perhaps not merely naive or stupid, but a Useful Idiot for those who absolutely do not want the theoretical way Wikipedia is supposed to work, to ever be the way it actually works.

She will definitely not achieve her aims on a committee which already features Opabina Regalis. As she has done many times before, in many different ways, she responded to that proposal by throwing up everything and anything she could think of to distract people away from the fact that she didn't actually come up with an argument as to why repeatedly telling other editors to fuck off in a targeted fashion, is not sanctionable.

It showed Opabina is a gender traitor and then some. Her opening lines displayed open contempt for Lourdes, and it went downhill from there. There were aspects of her comments that come incredibly close to what people who commit domestic violence actually say to excuse their behaviour. Still, she was funny, in her own off beat way, and that certainly seems to distract a few people from the underlying messages. Drmies uses humour the same way. No wonder he wants to get in her knickers so badly (there's been even more adulation of her in his answers, if you can believe it). His poor wife.

Is Lourdes the women to take that roadblock on? No. You need a Gorilla Warfare or a Keilana for that task, and in sufficient numbers to outvote her. Those two are not standing now, and are not standing ever again most likely. You can blame Drmies and Opabina and the hoardes of toxics who rally to their King and Queen. Drmies needs to watch his back, since I'm thinking he is about to get in the middle of a fight between Opabina and Bishonen for that particular title, although there may be an uneasy peace since the former is working the inside, the latter the outside.

It's been so effective, if you ask GW and Keilana why they lost faith in using their ArbCom seats as a vehicle for change, they will claim pressures of real life. Yeah right. Every woman who is really saying, hell no, I do not want to work with you, bitch, to Opabina in her kitten based recruitment drive, has in reality said, oh no, I couldn't possibly find the time. Lies.

Those two found out to their cost what happens when you defy Bishonen with your rulings, and they've both seen what Drmies is capable of doing to Sandstein, for merely attempting to uphold their authority. Seeing Opabina on the 2017 ballot had to be the last straw for them, claiming as she did to have been analytical and flexible in her first term. Chuck in Black Kite and BBb23 with all their power plays, and ArbCom is no place for any woman who isn't a gender traitor, even battle scarred and highly motivated ones. They would eat Lourdes alive, if she ever found her voice.

This is how it works. This is how you suppress a minority. This is now you exert control. You continue to let the men do what they do, let them cast themselves as allies even, and you find strong women to act as gender traitors, co-opting what were already pretty pathetic attempts to effect radical change (2 out of 15 seats was unlikely to achieve anything), and as I fear in Lourdes' case, and perhaps the other women elected in 2017, even some of the men, you also find some useful idiots, easily controlled and ignored.

Drmies knows how it works. You can regularly find him citing feminist and progressive theory on Wikipedia, as if he is a friend and ally to women and minorities. Safe in the knowledge nobody can or would dare to point out these are just words, he doesn't actually do a single thing to act on them. If it ever appears he has, look deeper, there is always a different, far more evil, agenda.

Drmies falsely accused someone of racism, stalked and finally blocked them, all because he posed a threat to his racist buddy Malik. He did that. If he's now suddenly all into transparency, go ask him if he has a better explanation for his actions in that affair. You will either be blocked before you get an answer, or he will hide behind the fact the Wikipedia community saw nothing wrong with what he did, and still retains its trust in him, because Admin.

He is probably laughing as he says it, because he knows how ridiculous it is to claim the Wikipedia community has a good sense for who is trustworthy and progressive. He is a prominent part of the community, for fuck's sake, even if he does now claim to be a minor actor. Just another one of his self-serving lies. Minor actors don't stand for ArbCom, much less get elected.

Over to you, Wikipediocracy and Gender Desk. Oh right, this isn't your things is it. Ah well.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Genderdesk seems to be engaged in contemplating the beauty of silence after suggesting voting a straight "just say no" ticket.

Drmies manages to find the beauty in deception. I am tempted to read his response to Atsme as a claim that he was my ArbCom champion during my 500 days here in the Gulag. We'll see what he says.

hyatt
Sucks

Post by hyatt » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:26 pm

With Robert McClenon as a candidate, maybe someone braver than I might be willing to ask what was happening benind the scenes during the Frank Gaffney edit war which involved the replacement of a promotional page for a DIA think tank with a hit piece citing the subject's enemies -- literal enemies in some cases, the propaganda agencies of foreign powers -- followed by the banning of any user who argued that the page should be more neutral.

In summary, LavaBaron started the problem by breaking NPOV. Cirt then declared Lavabaron's opponents to be sockpuppets before the SPI had finished, so JzG started banning people based on Cirt's word. Robert McClenon threatened to ban anyone else who disagreed with Lavabaron's edits or conduct, and BMK and TRPoD started gravedancing around the page. Since then, Lavabaron was banned as a sockpuppet with no public evidence, Cirt was found to be socking as Sagecandor, and JzG threatend to ban anyone who voted for Trump. All three cases involved admins banning users who had done nothing more than point out that another editor is breaking the rules and should stop doing that.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Come on now people, we have JzG's word that he would not use his tools in the US politics arena.

If we just wait a little longer, I am sure they will review any and all occurrences of people being blocked by JzG at the direction of Cirt.

Any day now.

The integrity of Wikipedia is at stake.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Scenario A:

A man, currently under several sanctions from ArbCom, who doesn't give a shit about civility and has been roundly condemned as a woman hater, brings opposition research into Wikipedia to harm ArbCom candidacy of someone who wants to restore civility and make women feel welcome. This research requires Googling the person's real name, and (hopefully) satisfying yourself the dirt you find relates to the right person. The candidate unambiguously denied the things unearthed in the opposition research.

Scenario B

A woman, a serving Wikipedia Arbitrator, with an established record on upholding civility and the need to make woman feel welcome (including taking action against the instigator of Scenario A), uses opposition research to highlight the fact an Arbcom candidate may have incompatible personality traits and a worrying view of child development, casting doubt on their ability to act properly in one of ArbCom's most serious roles. This research requires reading the posts of the Reddit account identified by the candidate on their Wikipedia profile as belonging to them. The candidate wholeheartedly embraced the content of the posts, while also making troubling and contradictory statements about what they might reflect.

When it comes to assessing which of these things is worse, there's no contest. When it comes to justifying it, there is no argument that justifies A without also justifying B.

This has been a public service message of HTD Inc. We offer a range of servicess, including lessons in how to be credible Wikipedia critics. Lesson 1: avoid stupidity. Lesson 2: don't be an idiot. Lessons 3 to 57, are unfortunately only available to those who prove capable of learning lessons 1 and 2.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Lesson 58 till infinite: Go away from there. Start to safe stray cats and motherless kittens, go helping in an nursing home, but not this.
It's bad, it is wiki Faust, it is a bad thing.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:50 am

Gender Desk seems awfully proud that she figured out these elections are sham, and that neutral votes are pointless. If I didn't already know she takes a bizarre pride in not knowing who I am or what I do, I might be flattered that she seems to be stealing my act. So I will happily assume we must simply be coming to the same conclusions independently. She's just a little slower at it. Understandable. A price to pay for not being a dedicated critic of Wikipedia.

Anyway, to continue the established tradition of posting electoral commentary that is too dangerous for Wikipediocracy (it's amazing what they will ban people for), and too up to date for Gender Desk......

It seems it was a very wise decision to cut the number of seats to 13. This brilliant piece of smoke and mirrors now means there does at least appear to be a genuine choice. Ten viable candidates for six seats looks a lot healthier than ten for eight.

To be clear, a non-viable candidate is someone only a retard would vote for. This year, that's Fred Bauder (effectively disqualified himself), Isarra (joke candidate) and Robert McLenon (non-admin). As previously said, by all means, vote for Fred as this year's Trumpian protest vote, a stand against the continuing erosion of civility, but he needs a miracle to actually gain a seat.

So, ten for six? As the saying goes, appearances can be deceptive......

The slate looks less impressive when you start the necessary process of pruning the viable candidates (no reason not to vote for them) down to the electable candidates (a reason to vote for them). These are the candidates who sensible people just wouldn't vote for. The main reason being, why vote for someone who put next to no effort into earning it, or on first impressions doesn't seem to deserve it.

So you remove the idiot who said he wasn't running four days prior to nominations, and his platform is basically "I love Opabina". Who else can we discount? Well, I for one wouldn't vote for someone who spent ten years on Wikipedia before becoming an Administrator, and while saying they have an interest in helping out where consensus fails, ArbCom being the pinnacle of that task, seems to have shied away from the very places below it where that happens most frequently. So very quickly, we are down to eight for six. Goodbye Drmies and Joe Roe.

Those who think it gets hard to cut the field even further, haven't really looked at how these things work. This is an election, so you obviously dump the guy who says "I don't have any platform to run on. I am just happy to help out where I can." We're after office holders, not office boys. But thank you for your service, Kelapstick.

It's pretty easy to pick the last person you need to dump to get to the magical six for six. Depending on how you feel about the need for new blood, you can dump the guy running for a third straight term. Burnout is a serious issue on ArbCom. So, seeya DGG. Alternatively, there is amazingly another candidate who admits they have no platform, they're just promising to read everything and try their very best to keep everyone happy. Yeah, cheers. I hear the US Marines are hiring, they're more your sort of thing, you fucking hero. Get outta here, Courcelles.

There you have it. Six for six.

AGK
DGG or Courcelles
Gorilla Warfare
Lourdes
Mkdw
SilkTork

A so-called choice of only six people who are electable and have given you a reason to elect them. Who you then pick based on policy or record, is entirely moot, because you obviously have to vote for all six (and oppose everyone else), simply to ensure none of the others get in. That is, if voting in sham elections is your thing.

The parallels with last year are striking. There is even less new blood, Lourdes being the only potential rookie. And one of only two women.

Someone once said exposing this truth isn't Wikipedia criticism. Sure. It's such good criticism, you watch as they pretend they don't even see it.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 am

If there isn't a rule that forbids candidates asking other candidates questions, there should be. Maybe there is, but it would not surprise me if Drmies wasn't aware of it, or chose to ignore it.

As much as you would like to think voters are smart and dilligent, the vast majority will have absolutely no clue that the only reason Drmies is asking Joe Roe what he thinks "the role or function of ArbCom can be in relation to the WMF in battling serial harassment/vandalism and harassment? " is because he wants clarification on Joe's stance on "fuck off", which ranges from totally unacceptable to understandable in limited contexts. Drmies is worried the limited contexts that he claims covers his usage (which as a matter of fact, don't), are not going to match Joe's idea of justifiable usage.

As revealed by Carrite's questions, Drmies is so scared of Wikipedia Sucks! he couldn't even mention our name. I submit this post is one of the reasons why. He's not so scared of Wikipediocracy, since they either can't or won't perform this kind of analysis. Bear that in mind, budding Wikipedia critics.