Instances of pro-Russian bias in Wikipedia?

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Instances of pro-Russian bias in Wikipedia?

Post by Ognistysztorm » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:21 am

Aside from Space Race articles, are there any past instances of Wikipedia having pro-Russian bias (such as content distortion and subsequent gaming of system by pro-Russian editors) which might turn NAFO and others against Wikipedia if published in the media?

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Re: Instances of pro-Russian bias in Wikipedia?

Post by Bbb23sucks » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:38 am

I doubt it. Ever since the escalation of the Ukraine war in 2022, Wikipedia has had a decisively anti-Russian bias. Plus, I doubt NAFO retards would contribute anything of value. You'll probably have better luck finding pro-Russian people if anything.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Philomath
Sucks

Post by Philomath » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:14 pm

I'm not aware of any instances of pro-Russian bias on en.wiki, off the top of my head. I am aware of plenty of anti-Russian bias.

Overall, the political bias on Wikipedia can be summarized as "Western chauvinism".

Just compare the article on Navalny to the article about Aleksandr Dugin. I read the latter article this morning, and it contains rigorous analysis such as the following:

"Dugin is known for conspiratorial rhetoric, such as his claim that fascist ideology is an inherent part of Western liberalism rather than Eurasianism."

I'd be curious if ru.wiki has a "pro-Russian" bias.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:50 pm

As I mentioned in the other thread, the Putin regime has started its own Wikipedia. They even hired a Wikimedia Russia director to run it. Quality Incoming!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruwiki_(website)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_RU

Why? Because someone was threatening the operators of ru-WP. Because people on it were saying "nice things" about Ukraine. Most news media said nothing about this.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/11/ ... ent-a79263
https://archive.ph/L0IkN
For more than a decade, Vladimir Putin’s government has led a campaign against the global encyclopedia, saying it defies restrictions on what can be published about sensitive topics such as the invasion of Ukraine. That campaign has included a drumbeat of criticism from politicians, including Putin himself, accusing Wikipedia of aiding state enemies, as well as repeated fines on the San Francisco-based Wikimedia Foundation, which maintains Wikipedia’s global infrastructure. (The foundation has declined to pay the fines.)
Last edited by ericbarbour on Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Philomath
Sucks

Post by Philomath » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:37 pm

So ru.wiki is full of uncritical pro-Western propaganda, too? Hmm.

I don't think that a government-run Wikipedia mirror is a good solution to the problem.

It's probably as lame as Conservapedia.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:37 am

Philomath wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:37 pm
So ru.wiki is full of uncritical pro-Western propaganda, too? Hmm.
I don't think that a government-run Wikipedia mirror is a good solution to the problem.
It's probably as lame as Conservapedia.
You can run it thru Google Translate, and it SOMETIMES works on article text. But good luck "navigating" the site.
https://ru-ruwiki-ru.translate.goog/wik ... r_pto=wapp

Read the Ukraine article for a good, relevant example.
https://ru-ruwiki-ru.translate.goog/w/i ... r_pto=wapp
Despite the neutrality enshrined in the Constitution of Ukraine , after the 2014 coup d’etat, Ukraine headed towards joining the military-political NATO bloc opposing Russia . Increasing every year infringement of the rights of Russian-speaking citizens of Ukraine and national minorities, the war in Donbass , unleashed by the central authorities in Kiev in the spring of 2014 and lasting 8 years, radical nationalism , which became part of the state ideology and policy in Ukraine, many years of military development of the territory of Ukraine by NATO and the resulting threat to Russia's security led to the need for a Special Military Operation in Ukraine , which began by decision of Russian President Vladimir Putin on February 24, 2022.

From February 2022 to February 2024, during two years of military operations , Ukraine, according to various expert estimates, lost a total of 400 thousand to 1.1 million people killed, wounded and missing, more than 10 million people left the country, the state lost about 20% of the territory, a third of the economy and more than 3.5 million jobs [7] [8] [9] [10] .
Or drag your way thru their "Forum" to figure out who the "editors" are and what they are doing. Or not doing.
https://ru-ruwiki-ru.translate.goog/wik ... r_pto=wapp

I tried to see their "Administratori" page, and Google refused to translate it. :shrug:
https://meta.ruwiki.ru/wiki/%D0%90%D0%B ... r_pto=wapp

Otherwise your best choice is to either learn enough written Russian to look thru the site "raw", or find a Russian translator who will be honest about political biases. Good luck, you'll need it.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyatt
Sucks

Post by hyatt » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:00 pm

Everyody working for George Soros or the Clinton-Giustra Enterprise Partnership was working for Igor Ivanov and the South African ANC which is a Russian front. These same people are the NAFO trolls. They were recruited because they bought into Russian propaganda so deeply that they will ban you and blacklist you if you warn them that they are making a mistake. It would be an amazing feat to get this fact into the media. Anons have been trying for a decade.

A second Russian network is the TPG Rise Fund, the Omidyar/Skoll Paypal Mafia, and the people running Harvard University and Aspen Institute.

Philomath
Sucks

Post by Philomath » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:13 pm

hyatt wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:00 pm
Everyody working for George Soros or the Clinton-Giustra Enterprise Partnership was working for Igor Ivanov and the South African ANC which is a Russian front. These same people are the NAFO trolls. They were recruited because they bought into Russian propaganda so deeply that they will ban you and blacklist you if you warn them that they are making a mistake. It would be an amazing feat to get this fact into the media. Anons have been trying for a decade.

A second Russian network is the TPG Rise Fund, the Omidyar/Skoll Paypal Mafia, and the people running Harvard University and Aspen Institute.
Interesting post. I'll have to check this out in detail this evening. Thanks for sharing the links.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:52 pm

hyatt wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:00 pm

Okay, I will grant that the ANC is so corrupt they are probably being influenced by Russian state actors (along with anyone else willing to pay bribes). Will also grant that investment "gurus" will also cooperate with the Putin regime if it enriches them. Sleazy bastards love corrupt dictators. Easy mark.

It's always a little silly to place blame for outright wars on Soros. He's on record bitching out Putin and Xi--not making any "friends" there. And NAFO is such a fucked-up insane mess that you need a LOT of solid proof they have connections to Russian disinfo operations. It's the same problem with people calling NAFO a "fascist" organization because of connections to the Georgian Legion....it doesn't stand up under scrutiny, people keep waving it around anyway, and NAFO is a chaotic gang of random people who rarely agree on anything, other than supporting Ukraine with fundraising and stupid memes.

Feel free to offer more evidence. It would help if you could summarize any pro-Putin bias on Wp content.