Lomax v. WikiMedia Foundation, Inc. et al

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: Lomax v. WikiMedia Foundation, Inc. et al

Post by Abd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:31 pm

According to his en.wikipedia block log, Guido den Broeder was "community banned" in 2017. The revision number for the discussion is defective. This was it: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... en_Broeder

Very good demonstration of the meaning of SNAFU.

Global account is blocked on meta, nl.wikipedia, and nl.wikimedia. The nl.wiki latter block is an extension of the block of an apparent sock, Wegwezen, which translates as "Road works," see Roadcreature as the prior WP account.

Guido did edit en.wikiversity for a time. One of his last edits there:
*{{done}}: Abd's probationary custiondianship is indefinitely extended with Draicone as mentor. --[[User:SB_Johnny|<font color="green">'''SB_Johnny'''</font>]] <sup>[[User_talk:SB_Johnny|<font color="green">talk</font>]]</sup> 23:46, 20 September 2011 (UTC)
:Then I, for one, will remain retired indefinitely, and support a proposal to close Wikiversity. Best, [[User:Guido den Broeder|Guido den Broeder]] 00:19, 21 September 2011 (UTC)

Wikiversity had this fantastic system of probationary administrators, supervised. It did need tweaking -- mentors might be AWOL, and a probationer went rogue (long after I was removed, because Ottava Rima and SB_Johnny.) I went to meta and got the privilege removed. Yes, I was a regular user who could do stuff like that, I knew how the system worked and what stewards would do (and not do). It drove certain muggles crazy, and Guido was one of those.

I was very active on Wikiversity, at that time, and was always promoting and protecting community consensus. He didn't like something. It looks like Guido got into trouble almost everywhere. Not knowing how to read and respect community consensus will do that.

If that nl.wiki block was a discussed ban, he might be eligible under the pretty-much-dead global community ban rules, for a global community ban. That would not create an event ban, though. Only office actions supposedly do that.

Now, who the fuck cares?

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:58 pm

I was assuming he just meant his current user agent is not known to the CU squad. So he's 'not banned' in the Kumioko sense of the phrase. Pretty pointless distinction, but I suppose it means something to some people.

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:24 pm

CrowsNest wrote:I was assuming he just meant his current user agent is not known to the CU squad. So he's 'not banned' in the Kumioko sense of the phrase. Pretty pointless distinction, but I suppose it means something to some people.

No, that's not it. As usual Abd simply has everything wrong.

Two original, non-SUL accounts were renamed, passwords scrambled, when I exercised my right to vanish.

The introduction of forced SUL-accounts recreated them because I was still editing on other projects. That caused the funny situation that I was banned on en:wp but not blocked. I never abused that, and was later unbanned by ArbCom when I needed to edit en:wp.

Abd's inability to grasp causality is what always got him into trouble.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Guido den Broeder wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:I was assuming he just meant his current user agent is not known to the CU squad. So he's 'not banned' in the Kumioko sense of the phrase. Pretty pointless distinction, but I suppose it means something to some people.

No, that's not it. As usual Abd simply has everything wrong.

Two original, non-SUL accounts were renamed, passwords scrambled, when I exercised my right to vanish.

The introduction of forced SUL-accounts recreated them because I was still editing on other projects. That caused the funny situation that I was banned on en:wp but not blocked. I never abused that, and was later unbanned by ArbCom when I needed to edit en:wp.

Abd's inability to grasp causality is what always got him into trouble.
Typical for Guido. I reported fact. (And that included "'not banned' in the Kumioko sense.")

Guido does not point to anything actually wrong, much less "everything wrong." Yes, SUL creates accounts automatically. An account was so created on nl.wiki, apparently. So? Guido was blocked on nl.wikipedia under the older account name. So what, exactly, is "wrong"? Guido was quite the same back on Wikiversity. Abd is wrong, very wrong, and very bad. Specifics? Well, who needs specifics with someone who is So Wrong and So BAD!!!

And it looks like he was that way elsewhere, and is still that way. Tant pis. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with idiots like this, with regard to anything important to me. Not any more. In that way, the global WMF ban was a blessing. In other ways, not so great! But the solutions don't involve me taking up WMF wiki editing, there is too much to do elsewhere of far higher value for far less work, and far more enjoyable work.

(Yes, he was unbanned by ArbCom, as discussed in that final community ban discussion that I cited and found -- you can't find it from his block log, because the edit summary was incorrect. What's the point here? I looked at bit at his editing after the ArbCom unban. The process stank to high heaven, but I'm not surprised. He was not collaborative, so it all happened pretty quickly.)

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 pm

The point is that I am not banned anywhere, like I said, while you are which is indeed a blessing for everyone.

When I need another unblock I will ask for it. I don't need one at the moment, and being blocked reduces the harassment. Wikipedia is neither a hobby nor an addiction to me. I only edit when I need to.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:18 pm

He isn't globally banned, that's true. However, if he is editing en.wikipedia or nl.wikipedia, he's violating bans there, certainly it would be so on en.wikipedia and probably on nl as well.

(The nl.wiki GdB account was blocked because it was a banned user. However, contrary to his claim, the nl.wiki account did have an edit, looks like vandalism.) But that is to the talk page of his former account. Talk page access had been disabled, so this was actually a ban violation, and the account was immediately blocked. This was not, as Guido appears to have just claimed, a mere consequence of SUL account creation.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Guido den Broeder wrote:The point is that I am not banned anywhere, like I said, while you are which is indeed a blessing for everyone.

When I need another unblock I will ask for it. I don't need one at the moment, and being blocked reduces the harassment. Wikipedia is neither a hobby nor an addiction to me. I only edit when I need to.

Inaccurate. Guido is banned on en.wikipedia and on nl.wikipedia and those bans are of the user, not the account. That's a difference from a block.

I am blocked and community banned on en.wikipedia. I am blocked only on en.wikiversity and then office-banned, and the lawsuit which is supposedly the topic here resulted from publication of that ban.

I had given up on WMF wikis before that global office ban and was just handing one detail, protecting a particular user and Wikiversity academic freedom, until Stuff Happened. I'm not banned here and it is unlikely I would be. I don't lie and don't make stupid accusations about others.

What Guido means by "need to" edit sounds like addiction to me. If I actually needed to mark Wikipedia in some way, I would arrange for someone else to do it. I don't need it. (Yes, that could be considered a ban violation, but ... the rights of the WMF are limited, not as strong as they pretend.)

What was the "need" behind that GdB edit to nl.wiki? What was the "need" behind all his argument on en.wikipedia over Paraduin?

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Abd wrote:I don't lie and don't make stupid accusations about others.

Lol. You do that incessantly every time you post, including above and at Wikiversity.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 pm

The nl.wiki latter block is an extension of the block of an apparent sock, Wegwezen, which translates as "Road works," see Roadcreature as the prior WP account.

Yes Abd, of course Adb, great wiki detective work. Conrads! Wegwezen means indeed road work. Everywhere in Holland you find signs with "Wegwezen" if there is a work in progress on the road.

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 pm

Actually wezen also means creature, so Wegwezen is the literal translation of Roadcreature. Local accounts are not sockpuppets. In fact, neither of them ever edited. When I edit, I generally do so as an authority in the field. There is no point to doing that anonimously.