Suggestion: Our own Wiki.

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Suggestion: Our own Wiki.

Post by CMAwatch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:06 am

I suggest WikipediaSucks.co to make its own Wiki.

It could help us collaboratively documenting things such as Bbb23's anti-innovative behaviour and rule violations.

It is not an “anti-Wikipedia wiki”, because Wikipedia itself is a great concept.
But it is meant for collaboratively documenting corruption on Wikipedia, especially the worst (Bbb23).

I am not against Wikipedia, but against the ones who corrupt it, especially B**23.

The Wiki could be called “Corruptedia”, “Corruptopedia” or “WSwiki”.

What do you think about it?
#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Suggestion: Our own Wiki.

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:56 am

FWIW Wikipediocracy had its own wiki. Not open to the public. I even wrote custom content for it derived from the book notes. Wee Billy Burns pulled it down one day in July 2015, and I still have no idea exactly why (apart from his complaint that MediaWiki installations are frequent targets of hackers and spammers, admittedly a common complaint about that "wonderful" open-source package).

If you wanna start your own, be my guest. I could even feed you some content later--don't have time to contribute directly tho.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 am

ericbarbour wrote:Wee Billy Burns pulled it down one day in July 2015, and I still have no idea exactly why.

Is the content now lost forever?
#BbbGate
ericbarbour wrote:
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 am

ericbarbour wrote:If you wanna start your own, be my guest. I could even feed you some content later--don't have time to contribute directly tho.

I currently don't own the equipment to host a Wiki.
#BbbGate
ericbarbour wrote:

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 am

I think you could lay your hands on eighty or so people in a third world country to turn their hand to a bit of IT work, no?

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:43 pm

CMAwatch wrote:
ericbarbour wrote:If you wanna start your own, be my guest. I could even feed you some content later--don't have time to contribute directly tho.

I currently don't own the equipment to host a Wiki.
You need a browser, and you need a host. I just bought a domain for a couple bucks, wikitop.cc, intending to create a MediaWiki installation, and I signed up for a VPS with 1&1 for $2 per month, 10 G storage, no long-term commitment. However, installing all the hosting crap on a VPS turns out to be more complicated today than it used to be. And the basics took up a huge chunk of the 10G. (80G. $10/mo.) I got it to the point where I could start setting up MediaWiki, but something was borked with the database, so I will probably wipe it and start all over. And I haven't gotten a Round Tuit yet.

But the idea that you need some "equipment" is crazy. I think I wouldn't try using a phone, but it's possible.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:12 am

Abd wrote:wikitop.cc

What will it be used for?
#BbbGate
ericbarbour wrote:

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:23 pm

CMAwatch wrote:

A MediaWiki installation.

Whatever the wikipedia critical community (which includes supporters, "criticism" is not a negative term) chooses to use it for. It will not be a place to attack each other, but straight documentation, neutral, will be allowed, within limits. I'm owner, and thus will be responsible trustee. If anyone else starts a similar project, we will link to it.

The community, facilitated, will create an organizational structure to serve as responsible trustee. There are ways to do this!

It will be "neutral by inclusion," instead of the theoretically neutral by exclusion encyclopedic model. In that, it will be like Wikiversity, where people who strongly disagreed with each other could collaborate to create a deep study. Not like Wikipedia, where the flat mainspace created essential conflict over access to presentation.

"Neutral" does not mean that every page is neutral. Pages may be "owned," i.e, have an author, to whom they are attributed. These pages may present synthesis, interpretation, etc.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Abd wrote:
CMAwatch wrote:

A MediaWiki installation.

Whatever the wikipedia critical community (which includes supporters, "criticism" is not a negative term) chooses to use it for. It will not be a place to attack each other, but straight documentation, neutral, will be allowed, within limits. I'm owner, and thus will be responsible trustee. If anyone else starts a similar project, we will link to it.

Fair enough. Just be aware that people love to hack into and ruin MediaWiki installs. It is really not very "secure". Some hands-on management every day will be a necessity.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:01 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Abd wrote:A MediaWiki installation.

Fair enough. Just be aware that people love to hack into and ruin MediaWiki installs. It is really not very "secure". Some hands-on management every day will be a necessity.

Also, keep backups regularly.
But great work, Abd!
#BbbGate
ericbarbour wrote: