Wikiconference North America

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Wikiconference North America

Post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Wikiconference North America happened this week in Boston Massachusetts. Attendance included WMF staff, Arbs, admins, members of the Glam projects and more. Over the next few days we should start seeing images rolling in on Commons to help identify who attended but here is a partial list of those I know were there:

- GorillaWarfare
- KrakatoaKatie
- Beeblebrox
- Atsme
- Phoebe Ayers
- Andrew Lih/fuzheado
- DominicByrd-McDevitt
- Richard Knipel
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodnight
- Sam Klein
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Wikiconference North America

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Watch en-WP and WMF sites for photos of the conference. A good chance someone took a pic of Beeb and thus "outed" the fool.

I know this because I went thru galleries of pics taken at early Wikipedia "meet-ups" and found that nearly all the most abusive/notorious insiders showed up in those photos, especially prior to 2007. It is how I found pics of Brad "The Cunctator" Johnson, one of their first admins. Also one of the most rotten and narcissistic, AND one of the most determined Jimbo asslicks of all time. And the one guy most responsible for forcing Larry Sanger out. The guy in the red shirt:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tup_11.jpg

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:29 pm

ericbarbour wrote:Watch en-WP and WMF sites for photos of the conference. A good chance someone took a pic of Beeb and thus "outed" the fool.

I know this because I went thru galleries of pics taken at early Wikipedia "meet-ups" and found that nearly all the most abusive/notorious insiders showed up in those photos, especially prior to 2007. It is how I found pics of Brad "The Cunctator" Johnson, one of their first admins. Also one of the most rotten and narcissistic, AND one of the most determined Jimbo asslicks of all time. And the one guy most responsible for forcing Larry Sanger out. The guy in the red shirt:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tup_11.jpg

Yeah I looked at the last 3 or 4 years and I can identify at least 40-50 with minimal effort.
#BbbGate

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:32 pm

- GorillaWarfare
- KrakatoaKatie
- Beeblebrox
- Atsme
- Phoebe Ayers
- Andrew Lih/fuzheado
- DominicByrd-McDevitt
- Richard Knipel
- Sam Klein

Andrew Lih was a redshirt at Wikiconjob 2016, as was Rosie Stephenson-Goodnight. I'm sure the rest of the people listed by Kumioko showed up in 2016, or at the very least, teleconferenced.

If Beeblebrox was photographed and that photo is released, then all of these bullshit conferences will have been worth something.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm

ericbarbour wrote:Watch en-WP and WMF sites for photos of the conference. A good chance someone took a pic of Beeb and thus "outed" the fool.

A long time ago Beeb said he turned up at one of these Wiki events and someone mistook him for Eric Corbett.

So, short and paunchy might be indicators.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Strelnikov wrote:
- GorillaWarfare
- KrakatoaKatie
- Beeblebrox
- Atsme
- Phoebe Ayers
- Andrew Lih/fuzheado
- DominicByrd-McDevitt
- Richard Knipel
- Sam Klein

Andrew Lih was a redshirt at Wikiconjob 2016, as was Rosie Stephenson-Goodnight. I'm sure the rest of the people listed by Kumioko showed up in 2016, or at the very least, teleconferenced.

If Beeblebrox was photographed and that photo is released, then all of these bullshit conferences will have been worth something.

Well, it should be fairly easy to narrow it down. He is a white guy in his thirties, so we should be able to narrow it down quite a bit. I also know he was at the DC Wikimania back in 2012 because that's where I met him, although I barely remember what he looked like.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember him looking anything like Eric, that seems like Misdirection. To be honest I remember him looking more like James Hare but again it's been a long time and it was only a momentary greeting at a busy restaurant.
#BbbGate

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 am

Kumioko wrote:I may be wrong, but I don't remember him looking anything like Eric, that seems like Misdirection. To be honest I remember him looking more like James Hare but again it's been a long time and it was only a momentary greeting at a busy restaurant.

He definitely said somewhere that a guy approached him at one of these Wiki events and mistook him for Corbett.

You say he's a white guy in his thirties. Are you sure? He said not so long ago there are four cars parked on his driveway. I assumed he was referring to himself, his wife and two adult or teenage kids. I figured he's at least in his forties.

I seem to recall he lives in or near a town called Homer, not far from Anchorage.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Anyone wrote:
Kumioko wrote:I may be wrong, but I don't remember him looking anything like Eric, that seems like Misdirection. To be honest I remember him looking more like James Hare but again it's been a long time and it was only a momentary greeting at a busy restaurant.

He definitely said somewhere that a guy approached him at one of these Wiki events and mistook him for Corbett.

You say he's a white guy in his thirties. Are you sure? He said not so long ago there are four cars parked on his driveway. I assumed he was referring to himself, his wife and two adult or teenage kids. I figured he's at least in his forties.

I seem to recall he lives in or near a town called Homer, not far from Anchorage.

Yeah I admit he could very well be in his forties and no I'm not 100% sure, maybe 60/40. Like ai said it's been a long time. I remember what a lot of people look like but unfortunately he isn't one of them.
#BbbGate

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:08 pm

I just saw a tweet from ole' Rosie Goodnight stating there were 350 participants in Wikiconference NA. Of those, 97 got "scholarships".

That's not counting the WMF employees and those paid for by other participating organizations such as Wikipedians in residence and people working for the Internet archive. So at least 1/3rd of the attendees at this years event were paid to be there.

According to the slide, they added 240 articles (so less than one per person) and 35, 000 words.

Here is the URL to the tweet: https://twitter.com/Rosiestep/status/11 ... 0035323904
#BbbGate