Compendium of Wikipedia Scandals

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Re: Compendium of Wikipedia Scandals

Post by Kumioko » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:14 am

How about the millions of Esperanto articles being created by bot
#BbbGate

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 am

Kumioko wrote:How about the millions of Esperanto articles being created by bot
Yes. What is it that Johnny Au has repeatedly explained on WO about some bot creating millions of articles in Cebuano and other languages? I've never been able to read enough of his posts all together to get the full picture.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 am

Barbour, that list is a treasure trove. Thank you for sharing it.

Anyone feel like discussing any of the incidents bound up in the timeline? Edit: For example, what is up with Durova? I've never really understood what went on. She appears to have gone nuts hunting socks. Is that the deal?

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 am

You sure you mean Durova? She has only done 5 edits since 2013.
#BbbGate

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:00 am

Durova, along with some other prominent Wikipedians like Slim Virgin, started a secret mailing list to discover companies and individuals trying to sock and influence articles about themselves. Unfortunately, Durova ended up blocking !!, a former FA writer, who had come back under a different name and was NOT socking. For some reason, !!'s use of German made Durova connect him to someone else. That eventually lead to revelations about that secret mailing list. Giano and friends really tore into Durova over that quite understandably.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:11 pm

There have been secret mailing lists and IRC channels since the start of Wikipedia. I'm not quite sure why anyone would think they would stop now. I have been editing, high output, for years, and I just learned of the existence of a separate sorta secret wiki just for CU's. Then you have the discord channel that I started that is pretty active...I am sure there are many more. From a critics point of view, it's good that Durova blocked an FA writer, it's one step closer to HTD! Especially when they are sabotaging the project from the inside.
#BbbGate

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Kumioko wrote:You sure you mean Durova? She has only done 5 edits since 2013.
So is she trying to keep an admin bit?

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:52 pm

The End wrote:Durova, along with some other prominent Wikipedians like Slim Virgin, started a secret mailing list to discover companies and individuals trying to sock and influence articles about themselves. Unfortunately, Durova ended up blocking !!, a former FA writer, who had come back under a different name and was NOT socking. For some reason, !!'s use of German made Durova connect him to someone else. That eventually lead to revelations about that secret mailing list. Giano and friends really tore into Durova over that quite understandably.
Sounds like she was hunting people like Kohs. It's still a huge issue: How much to out someone on wiki when they are paid or COI editing.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Honestly even when she was acting Durova wasn't much of an admin and she was about as friendly as a toilet full of snakes. Her one very significant contribution was in her professional improvement of open source photography. She was excellent and improving photography.

As far as the admin question goes, she was desysopped long ago..It was the reason she originally left in fact.
#BbbGate

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 pm

Kumioko wrote:How about the millions of Esperanto articles being created by bot

Bot articles, Kumi?
Beginnetje geneeskunde
Beginnetje astronomie
Etc. etc, etc.

Find a database, ignore the databankenwet (Database law) and there we go! The databankenwet, the auteurswet, who cares!
We are form Wi-ki-pe-di-a you know. And when you are from Wiki-ki-pe-di-a are laws and rules of decency complet irrelevant!