Requiring disclosure from admins who engage in paid "advising"

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Philomath
Sucks

Requiring disclosure from admins who engage in paid "advising"

Post by Philomath » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:25 pm

Here is an ongoing discussion about whether or not administrators engaged in paid "Wikipedia advising" should have to disclose who they are advising and how much they're getting paid. Should be a no-brainer, right? Wrong. The RFC is a dead heat right now, with 30 "supports" and about 27 "opposes" last time I checked.

Almost 50% of the Wikipedia community (the ones who've commented, at least) believe that administrators should be able to collect undisclosed amounts of cash from unknown entities for "advising", all the while holding a great deal of power over other users. Of particular note is Thryduulf, an administrator that has written thousands and thousands and thousands of bytes of text opposing disclosure. Nothing suspicious or unseemly about that at all, right?

Edit: as of 10:23pm EST, admin Thryduulf has written over 25,000 bytes of text in the RFC, over more than a dozen comments. All to defend the position that admins should be able to collect undisclosed amounts of cash from unknown entities for "Wikipedia advising". I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I will say it's not a good look.