2023 ArbCom election

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Re: 2023 ArbCom election

Post by Bbb23sucks » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:20 am

This is interesting: https://vote.wikimedia.org/w/index.php? ... &limit=500

Out of all of the votes, only one was removed. And that vote was cast by an administrator (User:Fox) nonetheless.

In case you were wondering, Burns wasn't lying. Stanistani is indeed there.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:44 pm

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:20 am
This is interesting: https://vote.wikimedia.org/w/index.php? ... &limit=500
They don't really say why those votes were struck. As usual, you have to remember: loads of these people operate unidentified sockpuppets so they can vote repeatedly for themselves and against anyone/anything they don't like. Since Wikipedia has NO reliable way to determine if a sock is voting, and insiders like to keep it that way because THEY are doing the same, no "reform" occurs.

Wikipedia, in all languages, might be the most corrupt "government" on earth. And there isn't even much money involved--it's all the work of crazy people who want to obsessively grind content, tell others what to think, and rewrite history on the side.

ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Post by ChaosMeRee » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:02 am

To nobody's great surprise I am sure, Beeblebrox views his recent suspension as license to run over to Wikipediocracy and give his opinion on several candidates standing In the election.

https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... 78#p337678

He has of course not made these views known on Wikipedia, views which potentially have high value as somewhat of an insider's view, even though he is fully aware of (but hasn't participated in) an ongoing Wikipedia debate about whether it is right or wrong that Wikipediocracy has essentially become required reading for anyone wanting a full understanding of Arbitration.

The views are typically Beeblebrox. This stood out as particularly hilarious in context....
I've already gone strongly on record as endorsing Maxim. He also knows when to ignore a rule for the right reasons, his desysop of Fred Bauder being one great example. The ensuing utterly poitnless arbcom case was a joke.
Utterly pointless?

I dunno. I think it is VERY VALUABLE to have it officially recorded somewhere that Administrator Boing! said Zebeddee is the kind of Administrator who blocks people he is actively edit warring with. And he is MOST DEFINITELY an Administrator whose on Wikipedia conduct cannot be fully understood unless you are also a regular reader of Wikipediocracy, where he posts frequently.

Free Bauder certainly would have had a far better understanding of why he was being fucked with, and what Boing's ultimate goal was.

God these people are assholes when you get right down to it.

If only there was some kind of body tasked with ensuring Administrators are held to the highest standards.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:10 am

As an arb, it was hard not to notice that he clearly considers himself an arb-in-waiting, commenting on every single case request, often after it was already perfectly clear whether or not the case would be accepted or rejected. It suggests he feels it is very important that his opinion on every case be known even it makes no difference whatsoever to the outcome. I don't think that reflects what I want to see from an arb. Self-importance is the exact opposite of what the committee needs.
Well he was an ArbCom clerk. Isn't it their "job" to do that?

ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Post by ChaosMeRee » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:03 pm

To Be Free is coming across as quite aloof and arrogant.

Several candidates clearly lack charisma.

Harry is being Harry. All editors are equal, he says. OK dear.

Robert is astonishingly poor, clearly his experience hasn't translated.

Wugapodes is getting an absolute hammering by people who clearly can't do maths. There needs to be a net 200! swing from support to oppose for him to even make it interesting.

There is a palpable sense that quite a few of the candidates know they are essentially guaranteed a seat due to the fact the choice is clearly between them or an empty seat. It is informative to see which ones see that as a reason to keep it low key and try not to make any missteps, and which are using that as a license to be themselves and speak freely.

I have never signed up to this idea that content is king as a means to prevent competent coders or skiller diplomats from being seen as less than asshole editors, but is has been striking, disturbing even, to see so many potential Arbitrators flatly refuse to give an opinion on the Ghenghis Khan article.

What are they afraid of? If they are honestly that unsure of what a good Wikipedia article should look like, or are just so terrified of the community full stop, what does that say about their potential usefulness as an Arbitrator?

I'm quite sure that simply saying the article looks like it is too long, too detailed and quite inaccessible to anyone who isn't trying to get tenure at Ghenghis Kahn University, wouldn't be viewed with disapproval by the electorate. The FA crowd couldn't even muster a candidate for this election, so they're clearly no threat.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:44 am

lol. All the "candidate guides" are now "boycotting" Wugapodes because he voted to suspend Beeblebrox:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Reap ... al/ACE2023
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tryptofish/ACE2023
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bradv/ACE2023
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Volu ... ctionGuide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Elonka/ACE2023
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tamzin/ACE2023_guide

Pro tip: If you want to piss them off, just compare them to the 2020 election deniers/the people who want to get Trump out of his charges.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:54 am

According to the instructions, "scruitineering" usually takes 1-2 weeks, it's been 2.5 weeks. Compare to last year when it was done by the 21st and by the 15th two years ago. In fact, this is by far the longest scrutineering period ever. Most years, it took a week or less (even going back to 2004, which only took two days). The only year that even compares is 2021, which took till the 21st. The 21 was almost a week and scrutineering isn't even done.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:41 pm

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:44 am
lol. All the "candidate guides" are now "boycotting" Wugapodes because he voted to suspend Beeblebrox:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Reap ... al/ACE2023
I do not want editors who cause drama.
WELL THEN FIRE YOURSELF, ASSHOLE.
AAAAARGGGHHHH
In fact, this is by far the longest scrutineering period ever.
Clear signal that the off-wiki political maneuvering is more toxic and brutal than ever. No one will destroy Wikipedia from outside; the insiders will do it to themselves. Crazy bastards.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Post by ChaosMeRee » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:43 pm

They're probably just trying to find the positive spin on having discovered that every fourth voter was a Lourdes sleeper.

ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Post by ChaosMeRee » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:16 pm

Well, the way it is supposed to work is that the scrutineers are power users from projects other than en.wp, usually stewards, and therefore don't really care about the outcome. This years group is three stewards, Superpes15, Mykola7 and Martin Urbanec. I don't have any real read on any of them except knowing that Martin has been around forever.
Hi ElectCom / scrutineers! I was wondering whether you had any updates for us on how the scrutineering process is going, and/or when we might expect results to be available? I realise that scrutineering is a tedious, thankless task and I have nothing but gratitude for the stewards who do this for a community that isn't even 'theirs' - I am in no way pressuring or rushing you fine folk. An update of "yeah it's gonna be another few days" would just allow us all to 'reconvene' then and forget about it in the interim. Thank you! :) firefly ( t · c ) 09:23, 27 December 2023 (UTC)
Hmm, I wonder why Martin Urbanec might be feeling a little like he's not a part of the gang?

No, wait, now I remember....

https://wikipediasucks.co/forum/viewtop ... =19&t=3123

One of Wikipedia's so called finest Administrators absolutely unloaded on Martin, breaking multiple policies and probably a few anti-discrimination/harassment laws too, even though Martin had done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG.

It was a vicious and sustained attack, clearly not an isolated temper tantrum, and clearly coming from a very dark place. Pure hatred. But there was absolutely no sense Cullen could or would be blocked to stop him in his tracks and protect Martin. He wasn't even actually warned. And he got away with merely issuing a single apology for the "nasty tone", implying there was only even one problematic post, while "standing by" the substance of his (completely erroneous) complaints.

Martin had been doing his JOB, implementing features the COMMUNITY ASKED FOR, features aimed at ensuring newcomers are more likely to stay, with it being well established Wikipedia has a toxicity problem.

There wasn't even a hint that Cullen's theoretical bosses, the Holy Arbcom, were even made aware of his disgusting behaviour, let alone asked to file a case to determine if there is a pattern here (there totally is).

Instead, thanks to the power shift of FRAMGATE, Martin felt obliged to apologise to Cullen for having upset him.

It was absolutely disgusting to see. I felt truly bad for Martin, and I am not known for my empathy for anyone involved with Wikipedia.

So hopefully this is part of the reason Martin hasn't felt obliged to go the extra mile to help the "community" of that toxic shithole elect the next batch of no-marks who will stand so idly by as their supposed best of them show why Wikipedia is such a fucking joke.

Cullen is a an absolute scumbag. How a man like that hasn't been kicked to death in a back alley before reaching his twilight years, is beyond me.