Sergei Brin is on The List

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Sergei Brin is on The List

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:34 pm

....As is Bill Gates and Leon Botstein of Bard College, as is a former Norwegian PM. It's bad, really bad....

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article ... iates.html
Sergey Brin, Google co-founder

According to a court filing, Epstein advised Brin from 2004 to 2007, including guidance on how to set up a tax shelter — a tax-saving trust for Brin’s kids called a grantor-retained annuity trust, or GRAT — with bankers at JPMorgan Chase. Brin had become a client of the bank in 2004 following a referral from Epstein and subsequently held more than $4 billion in accounts there. The Wall Street Journal notes that Epstein helped billionaire and Apollo Global Management co-founder Leon Black set up a similar tax shelter. Epstein’s relationship with Brin came to light in an August 2023 court filing by the U.S. Virgin Islands in its civil suit against JPMorgan over the bank’s relationship with Epstein. -- New York Magazine.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Re: Sergei Brin is on The List

Post by Bbb23sucks » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:38 pm

Shouldn't this be moved to the Off Topic forum?
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:47 am

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:38 pm
Shouldn't this be moved to the Off Topic forum?
Nope, because Google and Wikipedia are joined to the hip via Google infoboxes, which heavily use Wikipedia as a source.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:55 pm

Strelnikov wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:47 am
Nope, because Google and Wikipedia are joined to the hip via Google infoboxes, which heavily use Wikipedia as a source.
Agreed. One of the earliest "king's pronouncements" that Wales did in 2001 was promulgate a "What Google Liked" list. Wiki-pooters continue to use and prefer the Goog for finding the "references" for their often-crap content. And in return, Goog has openly and slavishly supported WP and the WMF whenever possible. Larry'n'Sergey are two of the greasiest billionaires the Valley has ever produced--but few people realize it, because unlike Musk, they don't go around tweeting stupid things.

Do I really need to dump a list here? Very well.

August 27: Sergey Brin and his wife donate $500k to Creative Commons.[24]
In 2009, Google books almost twice the revenue in the US as the entire music recording business.

February 17: Google gives the WMF a $2 million "gift"[25].
During 2010, Google spends $5.2m in lobbying[26]. Opensecrets.org shows donations to Google's political action committee -- a "who's who" of Google top management. It also donates money to the Berkman Centre for Internet and Society. [27] "What most readers don’t know is that the Berkman Center and many of its leading professors have financial and personal ties to Google and other tech companies—ties that are not disclosed when these academics speak or publish, and that I discovered after auditing a class with Zittrain. "

August 24: Google would have to pay $500 million to settle federal government charges that it has knowingly shown illegal ads for fraudulent pharmacies in the United States, the Justice Department announced on Wednesday. The fine was for ignoring laxer rules over several years for doing what SOPA would have allowed a court to impose at an earlier stage. As finally revealed in this 2013 Wired article, an FBI sting against Google's AdWords department successfully proved that Google ad-sales representatives would cheerfully assist advertisers in breaking the law. In this case, the federal government forced convicted online-pharmacy con-artist David Whitaker to repeatedly start phony Mexican drug sellers and pressure Google salespeople into helping him break the laws covering online prescription drug sales. It ended up costing Google a $500 million fine, the largest criminal corporate fine in history at the time, plus it forced a drastic change in how they sold advertising. Note this comment: "After announcing Google’s $500 million forfeiture, the US attorney for Rhode Island, Peter Neronha, told The Wall Street Journal that the culpability went far higher than the sales reps Whitaker had worked with. Indeed, he said, some of the company’s most powerful executives were aware that illegal pharmacies were advertising on its site. “We simply know from the documents we reviewed and witnesses we interviewed that Larry Page knew what was going on,” Neronha said. (Google has denied this, according to press accounts, and Neronha declined to be interviewed for this story.)"
October 4 to October 6: Italian Wikipedia blackout.
November 18: [28] Media announce that Google's Sergey Brin has donated half a million dollars to Wikipedia.
December 9: Creative Commons board meeting [29]. But who attended? (Note that board member Esther Wojcicki is the mother of Susan, a senior VP at Google, and Anne, who is married to Google co-founder Sergey Brin. The first dedicated set of Google servers were set up in Susan's garage in Menlo Park.)[1]
December 10: Jimbo Wales first raises the topic of an anti-SOPA blackout on Wikipedia.
December 14, 2011 Joint open letter denouncing SOPA by Brin, Wales and others around December 14.
And on and on. Not to mention the "special treatment" Google employees and management receive in their WP biographies.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:42 am

I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not, but I get those sketchy download button ads from Google daily. Sometimes I put them into virustotal.com and half the time, they're malware. Recently, I've been getting ads for supposed "news sites" that when clicked literally lead to fake virus pop-ups. And most of the ads that aren't those are just normal scams.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:04 am

I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not, but I get those sketchy download button ads from Google daily. Sometimes I put them into virustotal.com and half the time, they're malware. Recently, I've been getting ads for supposed "news sites" that when clicked literally lead to fake virus pop-ups. And most of the ads that aren't those are just normal scams.
No it's on-topic, Google has been melting down to the point where normal people are complaining that the search engine algorithm has turned into trash. The download trash come-ons are the sign of too much automation from The Goog.