Wikia's Uncyclopedia bites the dust

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
Lir
Sucks

Re: Wikia's Uncyclopedia bites the dust

Post by Lir » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 am

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 am
Do you think you put up a repository of those emails somewhere? I think a lot of people would be very happy to see that.
I barely remember any of this.

January 2007, some kind of drama with Poetlister
She wrote, "we won't be e-mailing each other again. Obviously, I shan't be replying to any post on Wikipedia Review either. Goodbye. "
I replied, "What are you so mad about?" no response

February 2007

Selina apparently banned me and changed my profile to "I'm a Nazi and proud of it"

I wrote "I love the logic of how its wrong for me to compare someone or something to the Nazis, but its ok for Selina!"

Herschel Krutofsky responds, "everyone walks on eggshells because she has a propensity to go bananas... Apparently she also banned Jorge, who is Jewish."

Krutofsky then says that he has unbanned me from the forum, and I respond, "Im not being blocked through the forum, but through the website itself -- there probably isn't anything that can be done, except by Selina, " He then forwarded me an email from Somey, "I think Jorge is still P.O.'d over that whole incident, and Lir... I'm not sure what's going on there."

Poetlister then contacted me October 2009

"Hello. How are you? Are we still on speaking terms?"
I replied, "im on speaking terms with everyone, what did you want to talk about? "
Poetlister, "I know that I was very rude to you a while ago, and I hope it's never too late to say sorry."
I replied, "its not a big deal, wikipedia is a foolish place"
Poetlister, "Actually, it can be a very dangerous place. I don't know if you know what happened to me. I was the only admin with an identified non-blocked account so they targeted me. And Somey is so ungrateful, banning me after all I did for the site."

I replied, "Yes, Snowspinner & Friends tried to contact my university and cause trouble as well. The site seems to attract a lot of control-freaks, and the Wikipedia Review isn't much better since a lot of the people there have issues as well, which is why they were on Wikipedia in the first place. Website politics seem to inevitably generate into something akin to a totalitarian regime. "

Poetlister then indicates I've been unbanned from Wikipedia Review "You were unbanned over a year ago!! And Somey never bothered to tell you?!?" I said no. Then Poetlister said, "Ooohh! That Somey!! Such a snake in the grass!!! So, he unblocked you to avoid criticism that you were blocked capriciously for no discernible reason. Then he never told you, to ensure that you wouldn't return to WR."

Poetlister then contacted me February 2010:

poetlister: How are things?
me: great
poetlister: Glad to hear it. :-)
poetlister: If you want me to go away, just say so. :-(
me: i just don't know you at all, i don't even know if you are who you say you are
poetlister: Who on the web is who they say they are? Who are you if it comes to that?
me: im lir, everybody knows who Lir is
poetlister: I'm Poetlister. Everyone knows who Poetlister is. I'm the person you persuaded to become staff on WR, the most disastrous mistake in my life.
me: lol i think you exaggerate it couldnt have been that bad, or else youve had a truly wonderous life
poetlister: No. It was solely because I was WR staff that Proabivouac targeted me. He told me that I deserved to lose my job because of my role in being WR staff. He tried to get Gomi for th esame reason, but failed.
poetlister: I have lost my job solely because of being WR staff.
me: your job?
me: i guess i can believe that, wikipedia goons contacted my university once and made a bunch of crap up
me: wikipedia is kind of a cult, i just try to stay away from them now
poetlister: Yes, my job. And of course once my usefulness to Somey was at an end he threw me off WR.
me: what was your job?
poetlister: I was a Government statistician.
me: what was their grounds for firing you?
poetlister: They had a log of all the pages I'd visited on the web. They said I seemed to be spending excessive time on Wikipedia but far worse they said some of the images I'd viewed were unacceptable. Incredibly puritan; my union rep said she often sees far worse in such cases. Bu tof course they only checked my computer because of people contacting my office, otherwise nobody would ever have known.
me: yah thats what they tried to do to me
poetlister: I was just less lucky than you. :-(

February 2012 poetlister contacts me again

poetlister: Hi
me: hi
poetlister: How are you?
me: great
poetlister: Great. Have you looked at WR lately? it's all gone insane.
me: no
poetlister: Selina has suddenly discovered that Herschelkrustofsky is a [redacted] and has exploded. She banned someone as a sock of another member hand had to back down,, and now she's accused HK of having a sock!
me: selina is crazy
poetlister: Yes, but this is spectacular!
me: i really want nothing to do with that cult
me: you already lost your job, why do you want to associate with them?
me: im sure im banned anyways
me: and if im not, i will be as soon as i return
me: and i really dont want anything to do with wikipedia, its a dangerous cult
me: you should just stay away from them

========

I notice that Poetlister also references her employer's attention being drawn to inappropriate images - which was identical to what happened to me when Wikipedia tried to harass me IRL. They apparently find articles you've had some contact with, which are taboo subjects, and then their complaint to your employer emphasizes that so and so is trolling the encyclopedia article on this scandalous topic.
Last edited by Lir on Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:59 am

Lir wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 am
Bbb23sucks wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 am
Do you think you put up a repository of those emails somewhere? I think a lot of people would be very happy to see that.
I barely remember any of this.

[...]
Wow, that was insane! Do you have any other interesting (not necessarily related to this specifically) emails from the early days that you could post here?
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Lir
Sucks

Post by Lir » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:09 am

Probably.

Apparently I convinced poetlister to be an admin on WR (no idea why or how), and then when she got fired she blamed me for awhile, but then decided that maybe Wikipedia was the real problem.

I glanced at her Linked in, looks like she found a better job a few months later.

If I had to guess, what upset Selina in regards to me was that I made a comment that a member of the Israeli cabinet compared Israeli actions to Nazi Germany. I'm not expressing any opinion about Israeli policy here, I'm merely stating a fact, as I am a historian and it is a fact that members of the Israeli cabinet have made this comparison on several occasions. Jorge presumably agreed with me and was also banned, although he is Jewish.
Last edited by Lir on Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:11 am

Lir wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:09 am
Probably.

Apparently I convinced poetlister to be an admin on WR (no idea why or how), and then when she got fired she blamed me for awhile, but then decided that maybe Wikipedia was the real problem.

I glanced at her Linked in, looks like she found a better job a few months later.
I would really like to see more. Could you start a new thread specifically for your old WR communications?

Lir
Sucks

Post by Lir » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:19 am

Oh gosh, I wouldn't know exactly what I might have or where, or when or with who or on what email address.

I'm sure I have some emails with Jimbo Wales somewhere, as I talked to him on the phone a couple times, so there must have been emails. I remember saying something (on the phone) about depleted uranium munitions causing radiation to contaminate the ground, and Jimbo was absolutely adamant that this is untrue and a conspiracy theory. I think our conversation ended when he made some comments about Hurricane Katrina, and the inability of black people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and I indicated that I thought this was a bit racist.

I think he kinda wanted to unban me, and did at one point, but he is surrounded by rabid nerds who have no chill.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:20 am

Lir wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:19 am
Oh gosh, I wouldn't know exactly what I might have or where, or when or with who or on what email address.

I'm sure I have some emails with Jimbo Wales somewhere, as I talked to him on the phone a couple times, so there must have been emails. I remember saying something (on the phone) about depleted uranium munitions causing radiation to contaminate the ground, and Jimbo was absolutely adamant that this is untrue and a conspiracy theory. I think our conversation ended when he made some comments about Hurricane Katrina, and the inability of black people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and I indicated that I thought this was a bit racist.

I think he kinda wanted to unban me, and did at one point, but he is surrounded by rabid nerds who have no chill.
That all sounds crazy! Just post everything that you can then.