There she goes, Miss America......

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

There she goes, Miss America......

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:42 am

The thing was taken over by Gretchen Carlson, one of its loudest critics (and the 1989 Miss America) for a couple of years. And thanks to changing public mores, open racism, and former Miss Americas bitching about Carlson, it's going slowly down the drain. Shrug.

https://jezebel.com/the-end-of-miss-america-1841181514

Will anyone miss it, in this rancid landscape, other than people whose careers depended on it?

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: There she goes, Miss America......

Post by Abd » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks for this post. Brilliant article by an honest, authentic woman, not a hater. We need more of that, much more.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:42 am
The thing was taken over by Gretchen Carlson, one of its loudest critics (and the 1989 Miss America) for a couple of years. And thanks to changing public mores, open racism, and former Miss Americas bitching about Carlson, it's going slowly down the drain. Shrug.

https://jezebel.com/the-end-of-miss-america-1841181514

Will anyone miss it, in this rancid landscape, other than people whose careers depended on it?
The last interesting thing to happen at one of these things was the case of Debbie Shook, Miss North Carolina 1978, who had to relinquish her crown, so she did it in a memorable way. If anyone has the footage of Shook crumpling and tossing her crown, please send it to me. Thanks. :)

edited

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 pm

badmachine wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 am
The last interesting thing to happen at one of these things was the case of Debbie Shook, Miss North Carolina 1978, who had to relinquish her crown, so she did it in a memorable way. If anyone has the footage of Shook crumpling and tossing her crown, please send it to me. Thanks. :)
I've looked for it--nothing. It is even difficult to learn more. That old People article is literally the ONLY search result online. The WP article uses it as the only reference. I wonder if someone at the Miss NC organization has been running around threatening people who talked about it.

it's also buried in this local newspaper archive from 1995:
https://www.greensboro.com/crowning-mem ... c6939.html