The (new, straight-from-scratch) Trump thread

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Re: The (new, straight-from-scratch) Trump thread

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:34 am

Larkin wrote:
Flip Flopped wrote:More on Gorka's embellished military credentials from a blog post, "Sebastian Gorka and his distinguished military career," on Adrian Weale's blog.

Thanks very much indeed for this Flip. I've taken the liberty to link to it in a couple of tweets on our top secret feed 8-) . The first we pin and notify Michael Smith (a twitter critic) and Emily Maitlis at Newsnight (he was abominably rude to her in an interview) https://twitter.com/MarinkaVanDam/statu ... 9473012736. The second is a courtesy share from his blog sourced to your thread here https://twitter.com/MarinkaVanDam/statu ... 0949625856.
Thanks for the mention that was very considerate. :) I'm glad Gorka's apparent embellishment of his service record is being shared.

Edited to add: The blog comments are also worth reading.

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 pm

It's been widely reported that the original source for Trump's wiretapping lie was a piece in Louise Mensch's website HeatStreet, itself quoting two anonymous sources in US counter-terrorism (ironic given Trump's complaint about anonymous sources).

It's curious therefore that Mensch's Wikipedia BLP doesn't notice this website, although it does an earlier failed site, nor does its History indicate any attempt to insert a mention.

Can't be arsed ourselves 8-) . I'll have a look through the site to see what she has to say about Gorka and report back anything of interest.

Added: Nothing there about Gorka.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Larkin wrote:It's been widely reported that the original source for Trump's wiretapping lie was a piece in Louise Mensch's website HeatStreet, itself quoting two anonymous sources in US counter-terrorism (ironic given Trump's complaint about anonymous sources).

It's curious therefore that Mensch's Wikipedia BLP doesn't notice this website, although it does an earlier failed site, nor does its History indicate any attempt to insert a mention.

Can't be arsed ourselves 8-) . I'll have a look through the site to see what she has to say about Gorka and report back anything of interest.

She's not very smart, but she was an ex-MP thus her only possible means to employablity was to start a right-wing tabloid.

In a country swarming with similar tabloids.

"But it's online", she squeals.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Larkin wrote:It's been widely reported that the original source for Trump's wiretapping lie was a piece in Louise Mensch's website HeatStreet, itself quoting two anonymous sources in US counter-terrorism (ironic given Trump's complaint about anonymous sources).

Mensch is an intriguing woman. I would have thought that her association with Heat Street would have been published in at least a couple of publications.

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 am

Flip Flopped wrote:

Mensch is an intriguing woman. I would have thought that her association with Heat Street would have been published in at least a couple of publications.

Washington Post has this on her today. The piece makes it clear that she is opposed to Trump, as one indeed quickly gathers from her tweets. Her claim that she was contacted by US counter-intelligence because of her outspoken backing for the intelligence community strikes me as nonsense. For a start she's British. She's a pal of Rupert Murdoch and supported him over the phone hacking scandal at the now defunct News of the World.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:29 am

Larkin wrote:
Flip Flopped wrote:

Washington Post has this on her today. The piece makes it clear that she is opposed to Trump, as one indeed quickly gathers from her tweets. Her claim that she was contacted by US counter-intelligence because of her outspoken backing for the intelligence community strikes me as nonsense. For a start she's British. She's a pal of Rupert Murdoch and supported him over the phone hacking scandal at the now defunct News of the World.
John Schindler (@20committee) seems to like her well-enough. I read a recent blog post of hers "Planespotting: Michael Cohen’s Amazing Journey," on the Patribotics blog. It seems rather fanciful, but she was clear in the piece that she was guessing about many things. I'm surprised she's not dismissed as a conspiracy theorist, but it's evident that she is accorded a degree of respect that doesn't extend to everything she writes. She is unique.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:04 am

Some more headlines:

'We're Going Broke': West Palm Beach Business Owners Want Trump to Spend Weekends Somewhere Else
David Edwards, Raw Story

synopsis: The presidential security is making it hard for a helicopter tours business and a aircraft rental outfit because there is a "no flying zone" around Mar-a-Lago whenever Preznit Dorito shows up. Also the Whitest House isn't reimbursing the county for their police overtime.

“Surprisingly Presidential”
How the GOP became the party of affirmative action for chronic under-achievers.

Mike Lofgren, Washington Monthly

Quote:
"....Whatever the merits or demerits of affirmative action, the Republican position has always been hypocritical balderdash. The last three Republican presidents, born to inherited wealth, enjoyed either legacy entries into Ivy League universities, or a parent wealthy enough to purchase an admission. Log cabin to White House by dint of pluck, grit, and scholarship is not part of the GOP’s playbook. In fact, affirmative action suffuses the entire conservative business model.

We have no further to look than President Trump’s address to the joint session of Congress. How difficult can it be to stand at a podium and read clichés scripted by a staffer off a teleprompter? To judge from the rapturous welcome by GOP congressmen, it rivaled the Gettysburg Address. And, as usual, the mainstream press, which Trump characterizes as the enemy of the people, did its best to grade the speech on a curve."

Trump Grants Oval Office Meeting to TMZ Founder
Michael M. Grynbaum, The New York Times

synopsis: If the brilliant people don't show, talk to the schlockmeisters who will. Article has stock photo of Harvey Levin of TMZ.

Head of DeVos-founded group resigns after saying he wanted to ‘shake’ an official ‘like I like to shake my wife’

synopsis: The DeVoses hires crazies; Gary Naeyaert, executive director of a school choice advocacy group called the Great Lakes Education Project which was started by Betsy DeVos and her husband in 2001, has resigned for saying crazy things in front of microphones and video cameras while the all-male Michigan Senate Education Committee listened. Article has YouTube video of Naeyaert saying “I wanted to, you know, I wanted to shake her, like I like to shake my wife, when every option in front of you is, you know, not possible. They’re all equally unattractive to you. Like when I ask her where to go to dinner, she says, ‘Anywhere,’ and I say, ‘Steak ‘n Shake,’ and she says, ‘Not Steak ‘n Shake.’"
A dark day for all Dutch-Americans.

Al Franken: I think Jeff Sessions committed perjury
Eli Watkins, CNN

Quote:

Minnesota Sen. Al Franken said he now believes that Attorney General Jeff Sessions committed perjury during his confirmation hearing when he did not disclose meetings with a Russian ambassador.

Sessions' response during the hearing to Franken's question about Russia and President Donald Trump's campaign was demonstrably false, Franken said Tuesday on CNN's "The Lead" with Jake Tapper.

"It's hard to come to any other conclusion than he just perjured himself," the Democratic member of the Senate Judiciary committee said.

If you want to do thuggish totalitarianism right, get the Germans to do it!
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Larkin wrote:
Flip Flopped wrote:

Yesterday Lloyd Grove's article, "Is Conspiracy Queen Louise Mensch Right About Donald Trump?" was published in The Daily Beast. Today a Wikipedia account with few edits removed material about winning a "Young Poet's Award" from Mensch's article: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =767043266

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 am

Flip Flopped wrote:Yesterday Lloyd Grove's article, "Is Conspiracy Queen Louise Mensch Right About Donald Trump?" was published in The Daily Beast. Today a Wikipedia account with few edits removed material about winning a "Young Poet's Award" from Mensch's article: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =767043266

That account is indeed quite curious (not one of ours, honest). But that's right about the poor sourcing of "Young Poet of the Year 1989". It appears on a BBC Question Time webpage (at that time she was Louise Bagshawe). But there is no internet source whatsoever which suggests she ever wrote poetry, let alone published or received a prize for her poetry. The only Young Poet of the Year award noted on the internet is the competition organized by the Poetry Society (with which one rather happens to have an undistinguished affiliation). But that dates back to only 1998, whereas Mensch claims her prize as dating from 1989.

Hard to understand the basis for the claim. But she's a successful novelist and she might well have started out writing verse. Plenty of young writers do that, some (many) of them very prolific and accomplished, before seeing the light and turning their attention to something that might bring in a few pennies. Margaret Atwood, the Booker prize-winning Canadian novelist whose futuristic The Handmaid's Tale has enjoyed a resurgence in the current Trump environment, is an example of such a writer. Her verse is of the very highest standard and you can discern the poetic impulse in almost any page of her prose. I love this skipping rhyme she records somewhere:
Salomey was a dancer, she did the hootchie kootch, And when she did the hoochie kootch, she didn’t wear very mooch.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 am

FWIW: Mensch's Wikipedia article is classic Wikipedia leftists pissing on someone they dislike. It grows and shrinks, grows and shrinks. One sockpuppet after another shows up and drops cruel comments in it. And a lot of the people in the history are known combatants in the "British Isles" business. Plus a few outright freaks like Sam Blacketer (a nearly-forgotten major embarrassment for Arbcom) and Rothorpe (you would not believe what he's into).

This old fart seems to be in love with her.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JRPG