Armenian Genocide

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
Larkin
Sucks

Armenian Genocide

Post by Larkin » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Donald Trump refusing to recognize the Armenian Genocide reminds me that the Wikipedia article on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide has (and still does in its lead) asserted for years that the United States has recognized the genocide. When the editor C1cada attempted to correct, and many othere serious errors of fact, he was banned. See Marinka van Dam's archived blog at https://web.archive.org/web/20180816204 ... ocide.html. The affair was discussed in the wikipedia criticism site that preceded this and led to the doxxing of the editor responsible, one EtienneDolet. I had better not repeat the dox, but it was surprising to say the least.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Armenian Genocide

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:51 am

I recall EtienneDolet--one of the people deeply involved in the endless Armenia/Azeri editwars. From book wiki:
A 2016 Wikipedia Sucks forum thread brought up another notorious Turkish/Armenian editwarrior:

"Our editors, who are entirely committed to the proposition that the Armenian Genocide of 1915-16 was a genocide as defined in international law, were trolled by the established editors at the article and actually blocked from it by Arbcom. The principal editor at the article is one EtienneDolet (T-C-F-R-B) (there is a street commemorating ED running off the Holocaust memorial in Armenia) who appears to be a semi-literate individual of Armenian extraction still at high school when he began editing at the article. We valorize his taste in painting here on our website."

"EtienneDolet originally edited as Proudbolsahye i.e. "Proud bolsahye (Armenian) = "proud person from Armenia living in Turkey". He edits, however, from IPs that locate to California, USA, and his knowledge of Armenian (and English) is rudimentary. Started the article Organization of Istanbul Armenians, a not for profit organization based in California."

Mentioned on Wikipediocracy in 2013: "Plus, the editor who inserted this nonsense about the six tanks, Proudbolsahye (T-C-F-R-B), appears to be an Armenian super-patriot who spends a lot of effort on articles about various Armenian people. Then he pushes to get them onto DYK. You have to wonder what other "facts" he's put into other content. I suspect he's been involved with the Armenia/Azeri editwars, given what he's written about Arshavir Shirakian. (Yes, he's been dragged to AE, or dragged others, a few times. He never gets punished.) I suspect you could scrape through Proudbolsahye's contributions, and find more falsifications. He's already been reported at CCI and has an SPI. He's been doing this since 2006......"
Larkin wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:23 pm
Donald Trump refusing to recognize the Armenian Genocide reminds me that the Wikipedia article on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide has (and still does in its lead) asserted for years that the United States has recognized the genocide. When the editor C1cada attempted to correct, and many othere serious errors of fact, he was banned. See Marinka van Dam's archived blog at https://web.archive.org/web/20180816204 ... ocide.html. The affair was discussed in the wikipedia criticism site that preceded this and led to the doxxing of the editor responsible, one EtienneDolet. I had better not repeat the dox, but it was surprising to say the least.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 pm

But isn't there a chance that any of the people pushing the Turkish line on the Armenian Genocide on Wikipedia are agents of the Turkish government (paid or unpaid)?

The whole thing boils down to keeping the Turkish state the size it was when Mustafa Kemal Atatürk laid the boundaries down after the Greco-Turkish war in the early 1920s; Anatolia would possibly lose territory to Armenia if the Turkish government admitted that the Ottoman Empire had carried out war crimes against Armenians. This would give the Turkish Kurds leeway, and Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is willing to send his military to the Syrian border to keep a greater Kurdistan from developing, even though in the long run the Kurds will form a transnational state. This is why all the Turkish schools teach that everybody who lives in Turkey is Turkish and that they should speak the Turkish language when the reality is that Turkey is not a monolithic block - it is a multiethnic-multilingual state like nearby Russia, but the dismemberment of the Ottoman Empire has cut it off from the Slavic and Arab areas that were the true powerful zones within the Empire and Atatürk had to build an entire "new" society from scratch.....in many ways Turkey in the 1920s-1930s was in a worse position than Austria after the Austro-Hungarian Empire was dissolved, because post-Great War Austria has not suffered from repeated military coups like Turkey has since Atatürk died in 1938, but then Austria was dragged into being part of Hitler's Germany the year the Turkish Pasha died.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

suckadmin
Janitor

Post by suckadmin » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Just watched a video of trump supporters disrupting a town hall where Adam Schiff was been thanked for the resolution acknowledging the genocide.

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:01 am

Strelnikov wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 pm
But isn't there a chance that any of the people pushing the Turkish line on the Armenian Genocide on Wikipedia are agents of the Turkish government (paid or unpaid)?
I didn't make a note of the journalist's name and I've since forgotten it. He's not among the really high profile names, but he is nevertheless quite notable. He was in fact the editor of a newspaper that closed down, but I can't recall the political leaning of that newspaper.

When I looked at EtienneDolet's editing, I came away with the impression he's an addict.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Larkin wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:01 am
When I looked at EtienneDolet's editing, I came away with the impression he's an addict.
100% typical for major editwar participants. No way to run a war, etc.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:41 pm

I remember that this story, about which I'm not going to revisit the details either, taught me a bit about just how big en.wp is... since then, I've learned there are some fairly strong Azeri guilds...

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:39 am

Posted ten days ago, and barely noticed:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/20 ... alf-years/

Mentioned: Wiki-Luv for Turkey, and a quote from Dear Leader Maher. Not mentioned: why tr-WP was banned in the first place. Also not mentioned was Erdogan's considerable role therein.